Honored Contributor

Does anyone have a home remedy to clean silver?

Dug through some old things in the basement today and found a set that needs it. The stuff at the store seems so messy to use, but I may need to go that route. I know I can google it, but maybe someone here has a better idea.

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a home remedy to clean silver?

Hi QualityGal,

I have used every silver cleaner made, and none clean as well as Tarn-x liquid solution

I know that professional Jewelers also recommended Tarn-x if coming in to have your jewelry steamed is not an option. So between visits I do use Tarn-x.

You can find this on line, in most home centers, supermarkets, and drug stores.

It is a tarnish remover solution which you just wipe on, and I always use a cotton ball, and then rinse off.

It is great for silver items, sterling silver, and silver plate,  items. I also use Q Tips dipped into Tarn-x to get into scroll work, and the tarnish comes off.

Larger items can be placed in a disposable tray and the solution carefully poured over them if so desired, or you can just wipe each piece and then rinse off.

It cleans the following and instantly tarnish is gone from silver plate, sterling silver, platinum, copper, gold and it cleans diamonds just beautifully.

Here is more information about Tarn-x:

http://www.jelmar.com/TarnXjewelry.htm

Tarn-X Jewelry Cleaner is specially formulated to give your most precious jewelry a professional sparkle and has a self-contained cleaning system which includes a special brush and jewelry basket with ring post.  It removes film and buildup from rings, necklaces, bracelets and more and is part of the quality Tarn-X family. Tarn-X Jewelry Cleaner is part of the EPA’s Safer Choice Program (formerly Design for the Environment (DfE)) recognizing the product as a safer alternative to chemicals. Always spot test in an inconspicuous area first.

Do not use Tarn-X Jewelry Cleaner on antiqued jewelry, enameled jewelry, pearls, opals or other porous stones.  Before cleaning any of your jewelry, test a small area with a cotton swab which was dipped into the solution, and if it removes the tarnish continue cleaning your items. Then  rinse off with warm water and wipe dry with a lint free cloth. Be patient, then allow items to air dry well.   

As with many cleaners it is an eye irritant, so I advise common sense and care.  (BTW I never had any reaction, but someone else may).

This item is available in a round container which has solution and a dip basket, but I usually just buy the large size black bottle and use a paper cup. I place the jewelry inside of the cup and add the liquid solution to cover. Wait a few  minutes then drain then I also slowly shake the distribute well. After that I pass the jewelry thru a colander and rinse the items well. Then with a soft lint free towel I carefully dry them off followed by air drying.  

The used liquid can be kept in a small glass jar with a screw type cover, and saved for a few more use if desired, or discard.

Also be sure to really wash your hands well and I never touch the liquid just pour it where I need to apply it, and then let it dissolve the tarnish by itself, then drain into strainer and use my kitchen sprayer on fine slow gently spray action, so it does not splash, but is gentle on the items which need to be very well rinsed, then wiped with a lint free cloth, and are allowed to air dry.

Hope this helps you as it does myself, and many others.

Respected Contributor

Yes,I have a great, cheap, and always-available home method,  but something like Wrights Cream is the only thing I like to put a real shine on silver. However, it's slightly abrasive, so I use my home method and follow with a light polish. That way, I"m not rubbing so hard to remove so much tarnish. 

Here is the HOME METHOD.

You need a big pan, like a glass or ceramic lasagna pan. Aluminum foil, baking soda and salt. 

Put a handful of salt and baking soda in the aluminum foil lined glass pan. (about 2 Tbs each, equal quantities.) The foil needn't be new, either, you can save clean but used foil for this. Fill the pan with hot water.

Lay the silver down in the pan. It MUST touch the foil or it won't clean. The silver will start to lose the tarnish. Use tongs to flip the pieces to clean the other sides. 

Take out, rinse and dry. It won't be SHINY because that requires some abrasion from polish but it will be free of tarnish. If you want super-shiny, use a tad of Wrights on a soft cloth afterwards to put on a high shine. If it's silverware, you can skip that. 

Esteemed Contributor

Toothpaste.  Less messy/expensive than the tubs at the store?  Don't know.  Have you tried a silver polishing cloth?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@adoreqvc, thank you so much!! I'll get it on my list for this week. The pieces I have, are too pretty to let this happen. Then I'll try to find something air tight I think to keep the air from getting to them. (Think we inherited them somewhere along the way.) Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia & @Campion, Thank you two also. I'll keep it all handy for down the road too.

Respected Contributor

Wait til you see how fast tarnish melts off with that aluminum foil method. It's like magic. I use it on my silver sugar bowl. 

In case anyone is curious:

In the reaction, the silver sulfide reacts with the aluminum metal. Aluminum is oxidized to aluminum oxide (Al2O3) and the silver in silver sulfide is reduced back to silver metal. The reaction is given below:

OXIDATION:   2 Al(s) + 6 OH– (aq) –––> Al2O3(s) + 3 H2O (l) + 6 e–

REDUCTION:  Ag2S(s) + 2 H2O (l) + 2 e–   –––>   2 Ag(s) + H2S (aq) + 2 OH– (aq)

Valued Contributor

I use Tarn/x too.  Works great.  Lowes.

Honored Contributor

Just like the OP, I found some candlesticks and salt & pepper shakers in our basement and told myself I needed to get them cleaned up. Thanks to all for their suggestions.
Honored Contributor

Look for the Company name and pattern name at Replacements Ltd.

If it is "SILVER", it deserves to be polished carefully, piece by piece. 

If it is "Silver PLATE" it can be cleaned up and de-tarnished with any of the methods provided here.

SILVER flatware in many different patterns has pretty good value in today's economy, but there are also Silverplate patterns that, while less valuable, still have worth and make beautiful table services.

My mom's silverplate pattern, "Lady Hamilton" by one of the good silverware companies during the 30's, is still beautiful after over 70 years of use.

Please post more details about your find!