Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone get a cough from scented oil plug in's?

like Fabreeze or Glade plug in's ?

Do you know what causes it?

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone get a cough from scented oil plug in's?

Chemicals. Lots and lots of chemicals. Why someone would assault the body & sinuses 24/7/365 with these are beyond me. What's wrong with Natural. Pure. Clean?

Trusted Contributor

Obviously you're allergic/sensitive to the fragrance and chemicals in this product. I'd discontinue use if I were you.

Super Contributor

It is TOXIC. That is why. I would never ever use them! I just use essential oils in water and mist...

Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2014 GoodStuff said:

Obviously you're allergic/sensitive to the fragrance and chemicals in this product. I'd discontinue use if I were you.

This. Either stop using them or don't use so much of them. Some of the burners hold two different scent pots. You can leave one empty and then when it alternates from the filled one, it gives the room a break.

There are a lot I can use, but there are a lot that I can't because of my allergies and asthma. I find it easier to just avoid them.

As for what Gazelle said about them being toxic and using natural essential oils, that's just silly. I have those idiot mall kiosk people want to rub lotions on me or spray something on me whenever I'm in there and I tell them no, I'm allergic, and they say, "don't worry, it's organic."

Pollen is organic. Lavender is organic and triggers my asthma. The idea that things are magically better for you because they're natural is a myth. Even sunshine will give you cancer if you get too much. Use your head and look for signals, like coughing, headaches, etc that tell you to avoid something, whether it's "natural" or not.

Honored Contributor

On 1/29/2014 GoodStuff said:

This. Either stop using them or don't use so much of them. Some of the burners hold two different scent pots. You can leave one empty and then when it alternates from the filled one, it gives the room a break.

There are a lot I can use, but there are a lot that I can't because of my allergies and asthma. I find it easier to just avoid them.

As for what Gazelle said about them being toxic and using natural essential oils, that's just silly. I have those idiot mall kiosk people want to rub lotions on me or spray something on me whenever I'm in there and I tell them no, I'm allergic, and they say, "don't worry, it's organic."

Pollen is organic. Lavender is organic and triggers my asthma. The idea that things are magically better for you because they're natural is a myth. Even sunshine will give you cancer if you get too much. Use your head and look for signals, like coughing, headaches, etc that tell you to avoid something, whether it's "natural" or not.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I do. Also scented candles make me sick too. I can't stand them.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, they trigger my asthma something awful.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Yup, toxic! For those of us with asthma it is very very bad. For everybody else it's really not good at all. For birds - you'll kill your birds with this stuff.

Super Contributor

When I spray Lysol I cough like crazy!