Honored Contributor

Does anyone else miss having w2w carpeting?

Does anyone else miss the comfort and coziness of wall-to-wall carpeting?  I haven't had it in any of my homes in the last 30 years, which is probably why I'm feeling kind of nostalgic about it.  I wonder if, like wallpaper, it will make a comeback.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else miss having w2w carpeting?

Starting to see carpet show up on the decorating shows, especially in bedrooms. Of course it will come back as will wallpaper. Everything that is old is new again. That's what sells to a new generation. 

Respected Contributor

I still have it in my upstairs rooms and my bedroom. If I had the $$$$, I'd be getting rid of it and put in LVP like in the rest of my place.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't think it ever went out. Especially in bedrooms. I love my wood floors. No carpet for me. 

Trusted Contributor

We have it in the bedrooms which I prefer. 

All the new build around us for the past several years have been laminate and tile throughout the house

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't want wall to wall carpeting if you gave it to me for free. To much work, needs to be replaced every few years, constantly have to vacuum or have carpet cleaners come it. In Arizona I don't think there's much of it. Most people want tile out here. It's cool on the feet, doesn't hold in heat and is easy to clean.

Honored Contributor

We still have it in our living room and two of the bedrooms. When it comes time to replace, I'll still go with wall to wall in guest room and living room. I might look for something else in our master bedroom. It kind of creeps me out to think of all the skin cells people shed - might be more sanitary to Swiffer them up, like we do in our third (uncarpeted) bedroom.

Honored Contributor

No....just a personal preference but I like the cleanliness, look, and -for me- comfort of hardwood floors.

Honored Contributor

I still have it in my living room and the two small bedrooms upstairs (I use one as a guest room and the other as my office).  I will never have w2w carpeting in my bedroom again.  I breathe so much better every night without all that embedded dust under my bed.  I run my mini robotic cleaner in the bedroom a couple of times a week.  I have a throw rug beside my bed so I don't step out onto a cold floor.  

Honored Contributor

To me, wallpaper and carpet and brown furniture are never "out."  They might be trendy, or faddish, but not "out."

And anyway, it's all in how you use old things and incorporate new ones.  Taste.  Its a matter of good taste.