Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else miss having w2w carpeting?

When we built our house in 1986, we put hardwood in the kitchen, hall and dining room. I've always loved it. For some reason, we put carpet in the living room & bedrooms, don't remember why. I grew to HATE that carpet, even when we replaced it with new carpet. 

We've had indoor cats for years, and now a dog and 2 cats. All of them occasionally barf, and my old cats sometimes have other accidents. I bought a carpet cleaner, which worked well, but it was just such a sloooowwwww process that it drove me nuts!

Finally, last December, we put hardwood in the LR & MBR...what a difference! I can just give it all a quick swiffer between moppings, my dog can come inside wet from swimming and it doesn't hurt for him to lay on it, "accidents" are much easier to clean up. The floors actually look cleaner than the carpet ever did---even when they are a little dirty! I found washable rugs to put on each side of the bed, though the floors are never cold (we installed insulation under the floors).  And I put an inexpensive area rug in the living room. Love the look, love the feel of the wood!

If I was building a home now, I would put LVP throughout.

Honored Contributor

Not really, I find my wooden floors are easy to take care of.  Unless the carpet is chocolate brown or some type of dark color no thanks.  Wooden floors you just mop or use a swifter, much easier.  I have carpet in the bedrooms and wish they had put wooden floors in them, I live in an apartment. My wooden floors always look nice.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The company that cleans my carpets puts Scotchgard on them and, if anything spills, I can mop it up with a microfiber mop!  Even coffee and dog accidents!

Costs extra but well worth the difference.  Carpet stays clean even with a dog!

Used a cheaper service and they stayed clean for a month or so.  Everything they cleaned showed up again!  I'll pay the extra!

Valued Contributor

I don't care for it in the public spaces (living room, dining room....) because it takes a beating and is so difficult to keep clean.  I do like it for the bedroom. I have it in mine now for the first time ever.  Absolute coziness and feels great on my feet. What was I waiting for?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat    Yes. Count me in for carpeting!  We have always had carpeting in our main living areas.  I wouldn't have it in the bathrooms and kitchen, however.  

Recently we put wood look floors in our bedroom, kitchen, and both bathrooms. I wished we had put carpet back into the bedroom as the floor is just too hard without it. One other thing, if you fall, it's a lot harder landing! It's also more quiet with carpeting.  I would rather sweep than mop, too.    

Honored Contributor

I do miss it.

I always went for light colors, low pile, so no footprints showed.  

But until the 2 cats are no longer with us, it's a luxury I'll just have to wait for.