Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else miss having w2w carpeting?

I have carpet except in baths and kitchen.  As you age, believe me, it makes a difference to your legs!

Also, if you have steps, but a flat non-slip rug to put on your steps.  When you step down you land with extra force!  Not good for our joints!

Your feet and legs will thank you!

Honored Contributor

I like w 2 w carpeting--had some really nice upscale carpeting in my house for a few years before I sold it last year--now have cheap stuff that looks horrible in the apt I have now. I think that kind of carpeting is a regional thing--I live in the PNW and that is pretty much the thing here---now if I were to get another house---I would definitely do the bedrooms in carpeting , and prob thru out the rest of the space except for the obvious rooms----

Valued Contributor

I don't know if it's style or personal taste. My 50s home has the full plank true hardwood floors except for 3 rooms and the basement which has laminate. The hardwood was covered in 70s shag carpeting that hid this beauty until the carpeting was torn off! I think the carpeting saved the floors as ugly as it was though. I finally got the last of the hardwood professionally refinished after many years of no carpeting. It's my preference and would NEVER cover it up again! I do have some area rugs and/or runners in some rooms, but will never do wall to wall carpet!
Honored Contributor

@house_cat   I believe wallpaper IS making a comeback.  I used to love it, but having had to remove several rooms of it during remodeling, I don't think I would replace it. .

I had wallpaper in my previous laundry room and kitchen, but didn't replace it.  I now have it in three bathrooms, two bedroom and master bath, and dining room.

Wall to wall carpeting does make a warm and cozy room, but I have all hardwood flooring from decades ago, and have area rugs.

Respected Contributor

I like it in bedrooms.  I prefer ceramic tile in the bathrooms and hardwood in the rest of the home.

Super Contributor

I have laminate flooring in all rooms except the bedrooms -- carpeting in the bedrooms and vinyl tile by Congoleum in the bathrooms/laundry room/wetbar.

I had two knee injuries last year and the hard floors have affected my recovery. I have to wear certain shoes in the house to provide some cushion (used to go barefoot a lot) or else my knees start to bark. The vinyl tile is a little better, but when I step onto the carpet I can immediately feel a difference.

My little robot vacuum is busy almost every day and I drag out the big vaccum on occasion to keep the carpets tidy -- I clean them every year or so. I have allergies and it's probably best that I remove all carpet but I just don't see myself doing so in the near future due to budget AND the condition of my knees.

I wouldn't want carpeting throughout the entire house (been there, done that) but I think it is nice in the bedrooms for comfort and sound absorption.

Respected Contributor

My upstairs has wall to wall carpet and downstairs is all hardwood.  I like it that way.

Trusted Contributor

@house_cat  I have carpet in bedrooms and family room  and hardwood in entryway and living room. 

Honored Contributor

In all of my homes I had wall to wall carpeting. In my home now I have watt to wall teak wood floors. LOVE it! I can't imagine how dirty my carpeting was in my other homes. Because we vacuum every single day and there is a lot of dust, hair, dirt we get up. Carpeting hides filth. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

We have carpeting in our bedrooms, and we love it!

Yes, we do get it professionally cleaned every Fall, but it is good carpeting and here in the Midwest, it is cold at least 4 months out of the year, sometimes 5, and its nice to get up out of bed onto carpeting.

Plus I still really like the look in bedrooms!!