Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else live at a confusing address?

We live in a new subdivision and we are also having a problems with GPS. Someone could´t find here residence so she called 911. Two different Police cars showed up from two different cities  because no one knew which city  should respond. At least they came.

Honored Contributor

Yes ours is confusing so that’s why we got a PO Box.

If something can’t be shipped to a post office box, I don’t need it!!

Honored Contributor

Your address is not confusing, it's the satallite in the sky.  I think it updates itself every few years instead of every milisecond.

I live in 2 building highrise 55 plus community in the boonies which was built 5 years ago.  According to Google, mv GPS &  Maps my address location is here....

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at Tue, May 28, 2019-6.50.24 PM.png

The mailman, calls us "wood nymps" because our building is only visible to the human eyes. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Some etailers have decided that I don't live where I live and they try to auto correct my address which is infuriating!  

I canceled a pricey order with HD. When my address auto corrected it listed a small town 25 miles away. They couldn't correct it so I canceled.

I ask UPS to hold what they can at the hub to pick up. Some etailers are so difficult I no longer shop there.

Honored Contributor

The development where my daughter lives has something called 'pipe stems' (I believe that's what they're called).  They are roads that are paved but go off of the main road.

VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) does not clear those roads when it snows, etc.

In my development, there's a small road leading to houses that are not actually on any road.  It's so strange.  I've lived here for 43-44 years and I still can't figure out how these people get to their houses.

It's from the pain in the neck developer wanting to use every parcel of land he could.  I think you'd have to be crazy to live on a road that's paved but the state does not clear the road.

I live out in a sort of rural area and there are quite a few little (and kinda big) streets like that.

My daughter lives in Denver and she is constantly getting the mail from the person who has an address almost exactly like her's.

In those cases these people either have to maintain their own main road or pay someone to do it.

They're also given weird names that are not part of the development at all.

Valued Contributor

For a short time I lived on a rural route that was right up against the next county. The road in front of my house was county, but the road along the side of my house was state. I lived in the one county, but if/when I needed the police to come it was the other county sheriff that had to come.

A man broke out the window next to my bed in to my home while I was there. I hadn't been there very long and I called the police in the area I had lived before. The dispatcher told me who I had to call and she was just about to hang up when I told her I only had the phone book to the county I lived in, not the county I had to call. Could she give me their number? Well, no she couldn't. A bit of begging, and she finally got the number for me.

I called the sheriff's number for the other county, and that dispatcher kept trying to tell me I had to call the county I live in. Finally I told her what fire department district I was in and she decided I was calling the right unit. 

Now, to figure out where I was. I tried to give her turn by turn directions to get to my house. I gave her the names of my neighbors. I gave her the rural route numbers along the way. Finally she said she thought she had it figured out.

From the time the man broke out the window in my house, until the time the deputy pulled up into my driveway, it was just over 2 hours. Fortunately, the man that broke in was long gone by then. 

After that I had the phone number of my neighbor listed on my wall in big, bold print. If it takes the sheriff 2 hours to get there, I wanted someone I knew I could count on to be able to call. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The name of my street is used on court, drive, place and circle all within a stone's throw of one another. We get one another's packages dropped off and each other's mail. There are three, short cul-de-sacs and the drive in front of us. We confuse the pizza guy. One day I had a car load of people show up for Bible Study -- they were holding a pan of brownies. They turned on the wrong cul-de-sac but I should have tried harder to get those brownies on my kitchen counter. I know there's a passage about going down the wrong path. We could have pulled off a Bible Study. Nice people, though.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

Ours isn't nearly that bad but it is still annoying.

Our house used to be single family.  It's now a duplex.   We are xxx Street and the other side is xxx1/2 street.  Both are clearly and largely marked right at the mail box. We get mail for there and there gets our mail.  The other side isn't a long term rental from June to OCt. so it should be OK for those months.  Fingers crossed anyway.

Honored Contributor

Yup. We have the exact same address as someone else except one is south and one is north. The other address is a small shop about 5 miles north of us. We keep getting big semis pulling up to make deliveries. Such a pain that the powers that be made two exact same address years and years ago.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@kittyloo  this would be a pain!