Respected Contributor

Does anyone else live at a confusing address?

[ Edited ]

When we built our last home we had a few hard years of our new development still being noted as a farm field on GPS systems.  In time that corrected itself and I forgot the headaches we had....

We have recently moved to an established community that is a planned community.

We have a new and improved problem.

For example:  The community as a whole is called Village of Shady Trees

We live *********in the sub-development of Acorn Court.

**************  There is no street called Acorn Court.  Nor are any of the sub-developments labeled with individual signs (it caused confusion ??!!??)

GPS takes you close to our home but not the house but a common garden space within the Village of Shady Trees.  People of course are looking for a street called Acorn Court.

I make a point of trying to explain this in detail to tradesman, delivery drivers, etc and they always say, its ok Google will find it........until they call lost.

I may be destine to spend my days outside flagging people down.

Any suggestions??  We can not be the only ones with this problem.

Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone else live at a confusing address?

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

When we built our last home we had a few hard years of our new development still being noted as a farm field on GPS systems.  In time that corrected itself and I forgot the headaches we had....

We have recently moved to an established community that is a planned community.

We have a new and improved problem.

For example:  The community as a whole is called Village of Shady Trees

We live ******** in the sub-development of Acorn Court.

******* There is no street called Acorn Court.  Nor are any of the sub-developments labeled with individual signs (it caused confusion ??!!??)

GPS takes you close to our home but not the house but a common garden space within the Village of Shady Trees.  People of course are looking for a street called Acorn Court.

I make a point of trying to explain this in detail to tradesman, delivery drivers, etc and they always say, its ok Google will find it........until they call lost.

I may be destine to spend my days outside flagging people down.

Any suggestions??  We can not be the only ones with this problem.

@Abrowneyegirl Someone made a mistake.  *********** What about talking to your town planning board or whoever in the government is involved in planning communities.  What about the Post Office, can they offer some assistance?  My Dear you need to get this fixed fast.  Don't yur neighbors have the same issue?  There is certainly power in numbers, join forces and talk to the planning board, post office, etc.  What about the politicians in your area, go after them.  I'd be interested in hearing how this all works out for you. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have the same problem in our new development. We have to give an address at the bottom and tell people to drive up the road and turn left into our development. We did go to borough about it and to no avail. We have packages go back to companies and bigger deliveries turn around. It’s just so frustrating. I am so afraid if anyone would need fire truck or ambulance. 

Honored Contributor

My home cannot be found via a GPS using my adddress.  you have to use the next big city, which I in no way live in to find us.  We even have our own post office, so it's not a hole in the wall community.

Our property used to be a field of oats.  It doesn't give me headaches, but sometimes maintenance people have trouble and have to call us for directions.

Trusted Contributor

Yes!

When we moved in, the street name ended in "drive".

Our town installed new signs a few years back and now we are an "avenue ".

GPS still shows drive.

To add to this, our zip code shares the zip code of the larger village next to us because our town is so tiny.

We don't have the same mail carrier everyday because the first carrier back gets our route.

I give up.

Respected Contributor

well my issue is trivial compared to yours.  i live on freemont avenue. the street right below us is freemont alley. 

most people using gps just see the freemont and turn. no regard to avenue or alley

we do alot of selling on craigslist. makes for long texts. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo - My parents have a situation similar to yours; they live on Waterleaf Way. Just one street diagonally to the NW is Water Leaf Way. Both sets of addresses along this "line" of streets are very similar, and none uses a directional such as "north" to clarify. And just under a mile to the south on a parallel trajectory is Water Leaf Avenue. To top it all off, the mail service throughout this area of the city uses centralized community mailboxes for the homes rather than house-mounted or even individual street boxes. As you might imagine, virtually all deliveries are a huge mess...

Valued Contributor

I onced lived in a township but had a USPS mailing address that had the neighboring town listed. Had the hardest time convincing people that my physicial address was in a different location from the one I paid taxes. 

I left and moved out of state and my address was the nearby city not the town I lived in.  

Honored Contributor

We used to live on 555 S. House st. W. 112 th st.

No kidding, that was our real address.

Dad now lives on Jane Road (according to street sign)

Jane Lane  (according to post office)

Jane Stree (according to water department) ?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

We live on sage valley court...but there is a sage valley drive and sage valley  lane also..,,same zip code and all are spread about 12 miles

apart. Our post office is a training facility so we have an endless line of rookies....google maps doesn’t distinguish court, lane, and drive and neither do the mail carriers.  All of these streets were developed and built in 1978-80. Guess they couldn’t think of enough street names....every time I have to give my address I tell them they have to put “court” on it....