Honored Contributor

Re: Do you use liquid, powder or pods to do your laundry?

I use Tide Pods, I have used them since they came out. I love them. We live in a condo. In our former unit, we were two flights up and the laundry room was in the basement. So, it was nice not to have to take a bottle detergent downstairs. Here in our new unit, the laundry room is in the building across the courtyard. So, the pods are still very very convenient. Also, I believe I save money. I'm a little like OP's hubby. Not quite as bad but I always used more liquid detergent than I had to use. Ok....a lot more...lol I don't do that with the pods.
Esteemed Contributor

I like the liquid Tide, since it is just us 2 now and some loads are small. I don't use the full amount on the towels either. Sopmetimes I have to soak something because of a stain, and I can use a spoonful in the washtub.

I have front loaders, and hubby doesn't know how to use them....and like the other poster said....I like it that way.

Respected Contributor

I've never tried the pods. Remember "Salvo" years ago (if you are an older person?) They were tablets you threw in.

I use liquid because the powder doesn't dissolve so well out of the compartment in my Samsung. But I did use powder for an entire container because it was on sale and it was the brand I like (Persil.) I discovered you lift the divider up in the compartment and it does dispense. That's one thing I don't like about my washer--liquid softener or detergent doesn't always dispense cleanly. 

I do use tablets on the dishwasher, however. I got some of those Finish with the power ball inside. We were used to using them in Germany, where the machines are pretty much set up to use tablets and the water wouldn't dissolve powder well. They didn't have liquid very often. I find the Finish tabs really work better than powder or liquid detergent. And as you are bending over to put them in the compartment, it's a lot neater than trying to fill the little thing. 

Trusted Contributor

I love Tide pods. Tide has always gotten my clothes very clean. I also use Oxyclean for my whites.

Open my heart and you will see, engraved inside, Italy - Robert Browning
Honored Contributor

Liquid. It's far more economical.  For the same price or less, I get more wash loads from a bottle of liquid than from pods.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have a newer Whirlpool Washing Machine and it requires liquid HE detergent. I cut way down since I read (and was advised by a washing machine repairman) that people use too much detergent. For a full load, I use 1 tablespoon of detergent. If I have less than a full load, I use less than a tablespoon. Also, there's still detergent in the machine from prior uses. Most detergents are concentrated.

Trusted Contributor

@151949 wrote:

About a year ago I switched to using pods. My DH is one for throwing one item in the washer and running a whole wash for that one item and when I used the liquid he would use a half a capful. OY ! So now I have a secret stash of liquid detergent that he doesn't know about for things like cold water or hand washing something or washing a very small load , but all that is in the laundry room cupboard are the pods. So I thought I had solved this issue. I explained to him it is very concentrated and you only use 1 per load - today I caught him washing his car wash towels - 4 pods in the washer.

Tell him how much they cost and that will slow his roll.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nellies for me. It is a powder, but you can use it in He machines. 

Respected Contributor

All liquid concentrate, unscented.  Does on good job on cleaning clothes, and doesn't fade colors...I mean all detergents do a bit, but this one is is not as aggressive as others I have used. I recommend trying it if you haven't yet.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I recently switched to Persil 2 in 1 liquid.   First of all I love the scent of it.  Secondly it seems to clean well.   I also recently started adding a tablespoon and a half of TSP to my laundry loads, an ingredient no longer found in US detergents but is considered a major cleaning agent.... so either the Persil or TsP or both are giving me great results the last month or so.  FYI TSP is a powder  which you have to try to avoid breathing into your lungs  when you sprinkle into the wash tub.   Persil is relatively new to the US market and can be bought at Walmart, online on Amazon, I have even seen it in our local Weis food market.