Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think ornate decor is out? What other trends do you think are out?

I went up to Green Bay's Christmas decorating store and didn't see anything I'd consider ornate. There were some elegant trees, but it seemed country themes and whimsical ornaments prevailed. Of course, the traditional look is always popular.

Honored Contributor

I am SO tired of Gray,  I hope it is on the way out.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I think that everything in decor comes and goes in cycles just like fashion, and today more than ever with HGTV and the internet, we are flooded with what is 'in' more than ever in the past. I think that makes us thing that certain things just are not done anymore (in terms of certain styles of decor or decorating). 

And when you go into a furniture store, it can seem like there is very little choice in styles (and sometimes colors, patterns etc.) because I think even more than bringing in what will sell, they follow trends they are told are 'in'. 

In reality if you follow social media sites where people post real pictures of real homes, it's all over the place. There is a lot of any kind and style of decor out there in real life homes, ranging the entire spectrum of style. 

So I do believe that the media has us believing ornate is out, and retailers are marketing toward that (and certainly a lot of people are decorating in that way), but in reality it's all out there. I know for me personally, I tend to run at least a decade behind what is considered 'in' and I'm ok with that. I have a couple of rooms in my house that I decorated and chose colors, paint, paper, and carpet in the early 90's and it looks like it. But I still love it as much as the day I did it, and have no plans to change those areas. Other areas I did at the same time (and loved at that time) I have changed to something more current as I got tired of the old. In reality probably a lot of people's homes are a mix of some more current styles and some older and 'outdated' things. 

As for ornate, I suppose it isn't as popular as in the past, but it's still out there in millions of people's homes who love it. 

Honored Contributor

Could you post a picture of what you consider ornate?  

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

In the last two decades, there has been a movement from festuned windows, pleated drapes, and similar styles.  Home decore has become more relaxed as fashion styles have relaxed.

More window shades, tie back, tab top, and shirred on a rod are used today.  

Festune with pull back curtains.

The main places more formal decor is found is in extremely formal houses which is usually done by a decorator.

I have never liked overdone window treatments.  I like the light to come in and I like the woodwork to show.  I'm kind of practical window treatment-wise.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:
Do you think ornate decor is out? What other trend do you think are out?

This has been out for a while now, but I was glad to see wall to wall carpeting on the decline.

Esteemed Contributor

@MaryLamb 

I'm sure your home is lovely, and you've decorated it in a way that pleases you and your family.

Isn't that all that's really important?

Anyone that starts decorating for Christmas in July....well, let's just say it's not necessary to have a lovely home.

Are their lives any better because of it?

There is a oneupsmanship about all the Social Media that seems unhealthy to me, but then I'm from the Dark Ages Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

I don't keep up with trends so I have no idea. In viewing many of the youtube videos, I think many styles are showing up. I always decorate with what I love and don't concern myself otherwise.

Honored Contributor

Classic traditional never goes out of style for people who can afford it.  It changes and morphs but doesn't go "out."

Trends are trends and they come and go.  It affects people who follow trends, but those who don't may make adjustments, but not wholesale wipe the slate clean get the HGTV look.

I have fewer things out.  I have gotten rid of a lot, updated a few pieces of furniture, but otherwise, a more modern sectional, and some other minor updates and repositioning of things and I'm updated, but with 80 percent things I already had.  Maybe 90 percent.

Whether young people will follow classic design or live in a tent remains to be seen.  Whether they have any respect for history or not will play a part too.  Whether they make enough money to have a home all remains to be seen.

Honored Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@Mindy D I think nothing should be out.  Decorate with whatever style that makes you happy.

I couldn't agree more. Do what makes you happy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!