Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think ornate decor is out? What other trends do you think are out?

I don't know what you mean when you say "ornate decor".  That could mean anything.  However, if you are talking about your own home, you should decorate in any way you want to.  You shouldn't think about what some magazine says.  It's your home and it should make you feel good.

Respected Contributor

My interpretation of "ornate" is to mean heavily done, as in many ornaments.  That doesn't limit its meaning to a specific period or style.  In other words, what you may call "ornate," I will likely call, "clutter."

On the other hand, "luxe" references quality, craftsmanship.  Again, with no limitation on period or style.

As far as ornate being 'out':  Oh, I certainly hope so.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

I personally like to mix furniture styles.  My basic pieces are a comfortalbe contemporary look like Pottery Barn but then I will add in an antique or two and maybe an ornate piece.  What is out is when you go too trendy and use wild colors on the walls because you tire of them just like wallpaper.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I do not follow trends or fads but do as I enjoy and love as far as taste and style of home furnishings and decor.  I have always leaned toward ornate and formal and it doesn't matter if it is in or out.  Most people I know have a mixture of ornate and other designs.  

I say do what makes you happy,, what gives your home warmth and appeal for you.  Taste is personal and shouldn't be dictated by others or what is in or out. .

Honored Contributor

I hear dated from younger people looking to buy and furnish a house. My son is looking to buy and for some reason he is obsessed with white kitchen cabinets and will not look at a home that was built before the 80's.