Honored Contributor

Re: Do you think lanterns....

I have two. 

One is extremely heavy, maybe 20 lbs.?  The lid alone is about 5 lbs.  Done in a color that matches my pavers out back.  I found a thick, clear glass cylinder so I can put a long pillar in and you don't have to worry about getting scorched when you walk by.

The other is black--rather vintage looking -- kind of looks like a glassed-- in bird cage.  Haven't done too much with it except for Halloween.  Set it inside our front door with a scary looking raven inside and I have small battery operated twinkle lights I arrange inside.

Both were very pricey.  Very weighty pieces.

That said, I am not a fan of 99.99% of lanterns I see.

Esteemed Contributor

love them on my front porch to light my steps, not much of a fan of inside use. However , I do use alot of  the battery operated candles inside my home .

Respected Contributor

Lanterns have always been a staple of outdoor decor for porches, patios, etc. and I never see them going away entirely. I think they will always be part of Christmas decor too. I have only one, a brick red one with a church scene inside I use at Christmas. 

Honored Contributor

Lanterns are everywhere.  Online and in stores.  They have them for every type of decor.

I have one for every season.  I bought mine at Marshalls/Home Goods as I didn't want to invest too much money into them.

Some of the huge ones are very cool but I can't see spending that kind of money on it and then the cost of lighting it.  Some of those massive flameless candles are expensive to buy and to power.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I love lanterns and have several.  I think they look warm and cozy.  I have mine on timers and they are comforting to me.  I doubt I will ever give them up.

Honored Contributor

I think they are overdone which makes me avoid them.  It's not that I don't like them in other people's decor, I just seem to always be on a mission to find something different.

They are very welcoming though.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio,  I have one good sized wood lantern from about 20 years ago, and a small, cute bronze one from even further back, that only holds a tealight.

I enjoy seeing oversized lantern looks in interiors, and they bring a coziness, no doubt.  I'm somewhat in the @faeriemoon camp, in that I gravitate to something a little less tradtional.

I try to "replicate" the feeling of a lantern, with a tall, slightly flared contemporary glass hurricane and a big flameless candle inside.  Sometimes I put a little "reclaimed" wood platform or pedestal under it as well, to vary the look.

Lanterns may somewhat ebb and flow in popularity, but I think they are gorgeous in many interiors, and if one loves them, they can be a very enhancing perennial in the home.

Honored Contributor

For me if I like them they will never go out of style and if they did I do not care.  As with clothes I buy for what I like for my home not what is dictated by anyone else.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have one and that's enough for me....got it at Home Goods.... Im kind of over this trend.....but if you like them....go for it and enjoy what makes you happy eveyone has their own styles and favorites!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

When I think of lanterns I think of outside decor and that's where they need to be.  I am not fond of them indoors.

kindness is strength