Respected Contributor

Re: Do you think lanterns....

I love lanterns, too!  I think they are around for the time being - heck, I even remember having a battery operated one when I was little in the '60's!

Valued Contributor

Lanterns have been around for many many years. 

Don't think they are a style or a trend  - it's just that so many are now offered on QVC -  many homes in the country have used them as utility items, not as decorating items.

Safer now that Luminara etc use flameless candles.

Very welcoming to see lanterns in the window on dark nights or at the front door.

Esteemed Contributor

I think they will always be around. My brother has antique lanterns. He & his wife go antique shopping for them.

Respected Contributor

HA! HA!  What a question!  Lanterns have existed since ancient times--used in Asia and Rome as the way to guard flames.

My DH has some large battery-operated lanterns to use in an emergency when power goes out.  Many people who camp use lanterns as well. The train conductors used to use lanterns to signal arrivals and departures.

Home decor is secondary to the true purpose of lanterns---LIGHT.

Yet it is true they can be so pretty to look at!

I have a great collection of very small fancy Victorian oil lamps that I display on a shelf.

Kudos to the many ways lanterns are both practical and decorative!

Honored Contributor

Gosh, I hope so... Smiley Very Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I think flameless candles that can be used in and outside have increased the longevity of lanterns. I have some Pottry Barn ones that I rarely used because I didn't want to burn candles. Now they are used all the time. Nicer ambiance than lamps. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know, but I am getting closer to being done with them. I like them, the battery life is terrible tho and I find I only get them out during the holidays and haven't for the last couple of years. I'm leaning towards donating them, not sure if I will or if I will keep them for a while longer.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  Lanterns have always been a part of our colonial decor, and they always will. 

Valued Contributor

I think lanterns are here to stay.  I've had Luminara Heritage lanterns for several years and I never get tired of them.  I pretty much have them displayed somewhere in my home year 'round.  If I get tired of a certain look, I switch colors, or put them away for awhile, but they always come back out.  I think as long as there are flameless candles and microlights, there will be lanterns!

Valued Contributor

Here! Here! @PA Mom-mom .  I have colonial decor too, and you're right, lanterns look beautiful with antiques!!!