Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take your home for granted?

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

house cat, love your chair and kitchen cabinet. I need a comfortable chair for reading, have to start looking around. The kitchen cabinet was a great idea. Love to see and hear other people's ideas.

I love all your responses. I wish someone else would post a picture of something they love. I,too, like to be inspired by other people's ideas. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are a few of my favorite things ...

My "boring white ware"

image.jpgMy grandma's China  

image.jpg

image.jpgMy teensy weensy back porch. 

image.jpgMy beloved kitty, who likes to sit with us at dinner time. 

image.jpgMy KA mixer - wouldn't want to live without it. image.jpgHubby's favorite chair and his favorite dessert. image.jpgNothing makes me smilier than baking a pie. 

Id love to see some of your favorite things. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

No......it's the other way around.......this house is very careless.......allowing leaks (roofing and pipes)......sheds its paint.......allows the foundation to shift and crack.......and many more bad habits, which it knows I will have to fix.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi LOL! You'd think with all the love (and money!) we put into our homes, that they would be more grateful and try to stay in better shape!

Respected Contributor

What a wonderful thread this is to read!  I don't know how to post pictures or I would show you my house in total disarray right now because we have a painter here painting some of the rooms - 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms,  living room, and dining room.  I have chosen all very light colors.  Kitchen, den and office were done about 6 mos. ago.

I love freshly painted rooms - the rooms get a good cleaning and everything looks so fresh.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely not.

I never take ANY decent shelter for granted.

And especially if it feels like "home".

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

It occurred to me last night, while watching a home improvement show, that I am guilty of taking my home for granted.

I live in a two-bedroom town home.  It would be just the right size for DH and me, but for reasons beyond our control, our grown son is living with us.  This means we have no private space except for the bedroom - no den, no office and very little storage.  

We gave the kitchen a facelift this year, and made some other improvements.  My home is lovely.  Everyone who visits says they love it and could just move right in, it's so pretty and homey.

The problem is that I don't notice the good things about it nearly enough. I tend to focus on the lack of space, the clutter DH and DS leave laying around, the lack of privacy... the fact that it is not anything like the home I imagined myself living in at this time in my life.

Because of this, I think I'm going to start a House Gratitude Journal with photos.  I'm going to remind myself how blessed I am to have a nice home and food to eat and a family to love.

I thought it might be nice to start a house gratitude thread.  Tell us what you really appreciate about your home. You can add photos, or not.

Most of us miss the forest for the trees.

Super Contributor

We've lived in the same small town, home on Main Street, bungalow for more than 35 years.  It had 2 bedrooms, we added a thrid, and a single bathroom.  With a family of 6 you can only immagine how it was when the kids lived at home. . .Several of our children would like us to move closer to them (although they all live within 45 minutes of us) and remind us that we need to downsize (in our old age!).  New would be nice, but then I think. . .our home is paid for. . .the rooms are big. . .the bathroom has been updated to handicapped accessable. . .we have nice neighbors. . .I have room to garden and finally have established flower beds. . .EVERYTIME we're sitting in the hot tub on the deck we talk about how lucky we are to have such luxury right at home. . .despite a tiny kitchen I am known to be a good cook and have fed a ton of folks from this humble (wallpapered!!) enviornment. . .

Honored Contributor

Housecat I just love your home.It looks so enviting and makes me feel that you are a very social and happy person.Everywhere you photographed spoke sit down,relax and enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@Desertdi LOL! You'd think with all the love (and money!) we put into our homes, that they would be more grateful and try to stay in better shape!

I doubt they want to age any more than we do.It just happens. it is how God made the world.