Honored Contributor

Re: Do you take your home for granted?

SO HAPPY THIS TOPIC IS HERE!

We have an appointment with a very good architect on this coming Tuesday, because, although I LOVE my home and property, my life style relies on biggish tools, and I take up a lot of room.

My kitchen is what originally sold me on the house, and by measured floor space, it is large, but the wall space is taken up by doors, windows, cupboards and a too-large fireplace. The built in refrigerator space is MUCH too small for a modern fridge-freezer combo.

If the cost is right, we want to blow out the back kitchen wall, move the appliances to the "new" space, and turn the present cooking are into a "keeping room" with cozy seating around the fireplace area.

There WAS a period of time when I was so busy outside my home that I DID take it for granted, but now DH and I are planning something lovely for ourselves to enhance the home we already love. AND if we do the kitchen addition, there will also be a bedroom above it!

Can't wait to see what the architect has come up with!!

Honored Contributor

No, never!  I had to wait so long to get my own home and I thought it would never happen!!!  I am so grateful - every day - when I walk through our little, humble house!  It fills me with such joy!!!  

When DH and I moved in, we invited my family over to see it.  My sister broke down and cried.  I said -- why are you crying???  She said -- I know that's all you ever wanted and I am so happy that you finally got to have your one true wish!!!! 

Don't get me wrong -- is it perfect?  No!  Do I wish I had more room, more storage space, another bath, a walk-in closet, etc., etc.?  Sure!!!  But, its my little piece of heaven on earth!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Well, I really enjoyed this thread and thank house cat for starting it. I love reading about other people's happiness!

So, yes, I appreciate my home.  I work long hours, so my house is a little shabby and a litte too cluttered.   It is full of fur babies who have left their mark on the furniture!   But it keeps me warm in the winter, cool in the summer, and is a place for me to spend time with my family.

Do the math.
Super Contributor

What a great topic.  We built our house 20 years ago.  We put a lot of thought into what we wanted and, for the most part, it's perfect (for us)..  Not everyone would love the layout as it is somewhat different from the norm, but it works for us.  It's funny, though, that now that we've been here a good long while, there are things we would change.  One thing I definitely would NOT change is my wrap around porch.  It's the main reason we built this house.  I absolutely love it.  I also know how fortunate I am to have my home.  When I walk up the front stairs, I can't help but smile.100_0311.JPG

Honored Contributor

@ZoetheCat wrote:

What a great topic.  We built our house 20 years ago.  We put a lot of thought into what we wanted and, for the most part, it's perfect (for us)..  Not everyone would love the layout as it is somewhat different from the norm, but it works for us.  It's funny, though, that now that we've been here a good long while, there are things we would change.  One thing I definitely would NOT change is my wrap around porch.  It's the main reason we built this house.  I absolutely love it.  I also know how fortunate I am to have my home.  When I walk up the front stairs, I can't help but smile.100_0311.JPG

This is so beautiful! I'll be right over for a cup of tea! I'll bring pie :-)

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

It's a deal, house cat!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh House Cat !!  I am now going to start a gratitude journal for my home too!  What a great idea !  Sorry I didn't think or do this years ago.  Thanks for the idea and will give some gratitude for you in bringing up this wonderful idea.

My home was a 'rescue'.  We lovingly restored her look and improved her space and the property.  I just can't imagine those that have taken on buying a new home back then with the high interest rates.  $5000 plus a month mortgages, madatory home insurances, sky high utilities, expensive car insurance rates, furnishings, landscaping, having to acquire health insurance for them and their families, on and on.  You bet we are more than rewarded and glad we purchased a 'rescue'.  Many of the marriages dissolved due to financial debt and the loss of incomes due to a fluctuating economy.  Children are expensive to raise and the college costs are also tremendous. 

We didn't buy into the pressure for more, bigger, newer, etc.  So glad we stayed on a steady course and have enjoyed our lives through the years.   

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is a lovely thread, it sounds like we r all very fortunate people, my husband and I took our barn and converted it into a beautiful house, we live in a subdivision and own 30 acres ( most homes in my subdivision r built on 2 or more acres ). Our son and his family live beside us in their house. I love living in this converted barn. I look forward to reading many more posts or seeing pics from more posters of your treasured home place.

Formerly Tatz
Honored Contributor

When we bought our first home in 1983 (the reagan years) interest rates were at 15 %. We paid 62,000 - we had really been careful to keep the costs low because of the high intertest and because we needed 20% down minimum and we only had $16,000 saved. A few years later we were able to refinance down to a 9% interest rate and lower the term of the mortgage for the same monthly payment. It was certainly not easy to buy a home in those days, with that interest rate but as the years went by and interest rates dropped to more normal we saw the prices of homes go up and up so quickly. The county kept reassessing our home and raising the taxes every year. 

However, in the end we sold that house for enough so that we pretty much figure we lived there for free for all those years anyway.