Honored Contributor

Do you still subscribe to magazines at your house?

I'm in my 50's and have never been a really big magazine subscriber, but in the 90's I loved Country Living, until there wasn't anything much country left about it. I then moved over to Reiman (sp?) publications, loving their ad free format. At one time or another, I subscribed to Country, Country Extra, Country Woman, Reminisce, Reminisce Extra etc. They, too, have become filled with ads, and I have let all my subscriptions expire.

Other women's and home magazines have been so full of ads for decades that I only look at them in the doctor's office or in the library. Most magazines have no real content left (in my opinion any way) and they aren't worth the paper their printed on.

I'm a big thrift store shopper, and I pick up old magazines from the 1980's and before, and it is unbelievable how many more really interesting articles and how much better photography they contain. The older magazines are filled with content to read and enjoy, newer ones are just full of superficial content and ads. Old issues of Victorian Home, Country Home and some others are great for lots of content. And the advertising in older magazines seemed to be targeted at the audience the magazine was intended for (like CL used to have lots of adds for home related things or home renovation things)

Anyone else out there who is done paying full price for a book loaded with advertising for things that don't even resemble the magazine's content? Anyone else think that there is virtually no content left in most of today's magazines?

Do you have a magazine favorite that you think has stood the test of time, and is still worth the time and money to have? Please share!