Honored Contributor

Do you replace your water heater before it starts to leak....

or wait until it leaks?  I know mine is past the the replacement date... it has been about 15 years since we last replaced it.  So I am replacing it  now and not waiting for those signs of leaking like last time when I waited too long.  We have a standard electric water heater.   I know many people have the newer tankless one now and probably do not have to worry about leaking.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Do you replace your water heater before it starts to leak....

[ Edited ]

I replace them about every 8-10 years. I have gas water heaters, and in my last house the water heater was installed in the attic. Well, if that was going to leak it would cause major problems so I was always careful to maintain and replace it as prevention.

In my current house, there are two gas water heaters located on the main level. One sprang a slow leak after 7 years and ruined our wood floors, causing major damage. No signs of trouble prior to that. Both water heaters now have drain pans and lines running to the outside of the house to carry leaks away from the inside.

We have a lot of minerals in our water and this is hard on appliances and pipes, so things don't last as long as they might in other parts of the country.

Frequent Contributor

Our water heater is 26 years old. We never even had to open the door to look at it. My husband is on vacation next week so we decided to have it replaced before it starts to leak. I called my plumber and he couldn't believe we got so long out of it. He suggested a commercial one over a residential one that you would get in the home improvement stores.  I hope we get another 26 years out of the new one.

Honored Contributor

I believe in "Why fix something that's not broke". So, no, I would wait. 

I have a story about my water heater. A while back,  when my mother was still alive and living in this house I live in now,  my mother told me that the nearly 30-year-old water heater would probably need to be replaced soon. Well soon after that she got ill and passed away. Then I bought her house and a month later the water heater went out. That old tank was rated 10 year which I don't think are made anymore.

Honored Contributor

No. We wait until it leaks.  No need to toss out and replace a perfectly good heater.  Some things last a lot longer than they are projected to last and some last less time.

Respected Contributor

I think a lot depends on your water, how much it's used, and mostly.......where the tank is located!  Mine is in the basement about 4 feet from the drain, so no problem if it starts to leak......just no hot water for awhile.  The one I have is a good one, but it's over 12 years old (I'd have to check the paperwork).  My last one was about 15 when it went, so I'll just wait to hear the "sizzle" coming from the basement.  Then I'll call my plumber! 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I replace mine about every ten years.  This townhouse was built with no drain hole in the basement, which is where the water heater is located.  So I'd rather play it safe.

Esteemed Contributor

I did not know how old the tank was when it started to leak. It is outside and a neighbor left us a note.  I have been here 16 years so only the people who lived here know maybe. My son and dh put a new one it so I better see if I can find the paper work. It could be 10 years old now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. We have replaced it in 2007 when it was 22 yrs old. It went out when DH was in the shower & no hot water. LOL!!! Our hot water heater is in the garage.

I would never buy a house with the hot water heater or the plumbing in the attic. That's just crazy.

We did replace our AC before it went out. LOL!!! I don't like to be hot. It's getting that time again since they said is should last 7 yrs & we installed it in 2000.

Honored Contributor

@hockey mom wrote:

Our water heater is 26 years old. We never even had to open the door to look at it. My husband is on vacation next week so we decided to have it replaced before it starts to leak. I called my plumber and he couldn't believe we got so long out of it. He suggested a commercial one over a residential one that you would get in the home improvement stores.  I hope we get another 26 years out of the new one.

Sorry they don't make them like they used to so it won't last another 26 yrs. We always turn our water off when we leave on vacation. Don't want to come home to a flood.