Honored Contributor

Re: Do you prefer your Front Door to have a Storm Door, or no?

I don't have a storm door on my front door. I like the way it looks but it's not very energy-efficient to have no insulated door there so I am planning to have one installed soon. 

Respected Contributor

MOST DEFINITELY, ABSOLUTELY A FULL GLASS STORM DOOR !  (Hollered that too ! )  I had one at my old house and dearly loved the unobstructed view to the outside and the warming light that it let in ....In the house I am in now, I don't have one and I dearly miss it.  Yes, Yes, Yes - I totally vote for a storm door !

Honored Contributor

I think the storm door is okay when top to bottom would be all glass so you can really see the door or in spring/summer replaced with a screen.  It all depends on whether you like to have a storm door so you can open the door for cross air.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

No storm door but the porch is pretty big.  There is a storm door at the cottage and all it does is get in the way when bringing food and other stuff in and out.  That door goes to the barbecue and picnic area.  We keep it because there is a screen section that lets in fresh air.

Contributor

We have just been through this dilemma.  I feel why invest in a beautiful front door just to cover it up with a storm door. We have opted for a narrown window next to our new front door that lets us see out and let's air ventbthru home without a full screen door covering entry door

Valued Contributor

I have a storm door.  Most of my neighbors have one as well.  I don't know too many people who do not have one.

Valued Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I believe the look of the storm door is an older look and not needed today.  The Storm Door had a real purpose before homes had air conditioning and when the world felt safer.  

The storm doors of today can be just as modern as the homes.  The one I have blends into the house and showcases my navy blue door.

Esteemed Contributor

This was very interesting to read, since storm doors on a front door are not very popular around here.  When seen, they are usually on lower priced houses. Not sure why that is.  While reading, I was thinking about pictures of houses in magazines, and I can't recall seeing storm doors on the fronts of houses there, either.

Our front door is wood with beveled glass on top and on either side of the actual door is another wooden section also with a beveled glass top half.  So that lets a lot of light into the foyer.

As far as weather, the door area is recessed several feet on a porch so no rain is pounding on the wooden door.  And when a hurricane or tropical storm is headed our way, we push a button to roll down the recessed hurricane shutter which covers the entire door and side panels.

As far as crime, I don't answer the door to strangers and wouldn't really feel safe with the wooden door open and only a storm door between me and the "bad guys."  At night we turn on the burglar alarm.  So no storm door here ever.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett