Honored Contributor

Re: Do you prefer your Front Door to have a Storm Door, or no?

We had traditionaly front doors with storm doors in our past homes. In our cottage, where we have retired to, we actually just have several doorwalls (sliding glass doors) facing the lake, in the front. We have a wood craftsman door in the back without a storm door. 

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

I believe the look of the storm door is an older look and not needed today.  The Storm Door had a real purpose before homes had air conditioning and when the world felt safer.  

You are correct homes are built without Storm doors.  If you look for a replacement door, I have had a salesman tell us that most people (this was at least 8 years ago) do not use the storm door. Adding the Storm Door takes away from the beauty and decorative detail on the new door.  My husband who is very resistant to change insists that he still wants a storm door.  In reality we have one and it is NEVER used.  Honestly I would not feel comfortable leaving my front door open these days.  I have windows on the front of my home which I can open so when the door finally gets replaced I will not add a Storm Door.

Esteemed Contributor

We had a storm door on our home.  It matched our front door (burgundy).  The top half was glass and the bottom was solid.  I liked this arrangement because delivery services would leave packages between the doors where no one could see them.  We both worked so there was no one home during the day.  It also served as a layer of protection if someone knocked on our door.  Another neighbor did not have a storm door and their front door became very faded and got in bad shape from the sun/weather. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Jo1313. We rarely use our front door either.  DH and I always come in thru the garage.   

We thought about having a digital door entry/lock installed on the front door but since we have a storm door that would not work out to well.

@Mom2Dogs I just installed a smart lock on my front door. My DS always forgets his keys when he leaves the house and I like the smart lock b/c I can assign a different code to people and can terminate the code when I want to. I also have a storm door. I only lock the storm door at night when we are sleeping so it does not defeat the purpose of me having a smart lock.

Honored Contributor

@DJs mom  That makes sense.  We might reconsider the smart lock idea.

Respected Contributor

Yes, we have storm doors on both of our doors.  We do not have a covered front porch and the storm door protects our wooden door from the rain.  As others have mentioned I like keeping the barrier of a locked door between me and whoever is on the outside.  We love to open our doors during the spring and summer months and I don't want to have to worry about someone just walking unannounced into my home.

I also love to have seasonal wreaths hanging on my front door and without a storm door they wouldn't last long.  

Honored Contributor

Our latest house was built 4 years ago and I had an Anderson full glass storm door installed immediately.

You can still see our front door (French door) quite clearly through the glass.  It did come with a full screen, but that is just stored, don't think I'd ever use it at the front of the house.

I love to have the front door open, morning, noon and night in all types of weather (I'm looking forward to a snow storm some day!).

It keeps the cold out and lets the sun in to the point we don't have to turn on the heat.  (Well ask me again when we live here all winter...lol)

Our house is raised up, so people walking by can't really see in our living room.  But I've got nothing to hide!

Honored Contributor

I prefer a storm door.  IMO, it provides at least some degree of protection rather than opening the door and being face to face with a stranger. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've noticed for a long time that most new construction does not have a storm/screen door(s).  I grew up with one and like it for ventilation.  However, I much prefer the look of a front door w/out one and I don't have one now.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

I like having a storm door.  I have one that has a window pane and a screen.  In the warm months I have my door open with the storm door letting in breezes and fresh air.