Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you prefer your Front Door to have a Storm Door, or no?

Security Factor - have a full view storm  (top to bottom).  Door bell rings - open inside door = still have locked storm door as protection.

No stranger can - push - you in the house nor spray something at/on you.

Protection from weather and protection for homeowner.

Valued Contributor

I live in a 4 season climate & both main exterior doors have both doors. It does help in Winter to block the snow, etc. going in and out that blows all over! Only an exterior back garage door does not, but it has some overhang of the roof above it.

My pets enjoy sitting with the main door open but the storm door shut, enjoying the view outside (both are full glass).
Valued Contributor

#1love the extra security feature/barrier as many have mentioned
#2 it protects my solid main doors
#3 it protects my wreaths from theft & damage (and there's a wide enough gap in between doors so I can put pretty full wreaths up)
#4 my indoor only kitties like to look outside at floor level Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I like a storm door as well.  We have a clearview window (all wondow top to bottom) on our door.  I am not a fan of the window at the top and solid at the bottom. 

Honored Contributor

@Jo1313. We rarely use our front door either.  DH and I always come in thru the garage.   

We thought about having a digital door entry/lock installed on the front door but since we have a storm door that would not work out to well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't care for them so we never got one.  I just don't like the look on the front of the house.  Some of my neighbors have them....I would say it's a mix of those who do & those who don't.

I personally don't want my front door open during the day while I'm home since I feel there is no privacy if someone sould come to the door.  There is plenty of light coming into the foyer. We have side windows on the front door and a window up on the two story foyer.

I live in eastern PA and though it gets cold here, the front door is not drafty.

ETA:  I have a covered front proch so I never have rain or snow come in through the front.

Honored Contributor

We have storm doors on both the front and back as well as a security door on the side garage door. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like having a storm door.  I leave my front door open most of the time to let the light in and to look out at my flower gardens and waterfalls/stream feature and bird houses/feeders in my yard.  My dogs have always sat in front of the sorrm door to look out.  I like light in my house.

The storm door is all glass and the frame is the color of the house and is not noticable.   Our door opens to a full front porch.  I also like having a locked storm door between me and whoever may be approaching my door.

I do have a full screen  we could change to in the summer, but we have never used it. I prefer air conditioning rather than having a screen to let in dust and pollen.

Respected Contributor

We have the glass variety of storm door. It is one type of storm door. The security door was mentioned. I have never had one of those. I thought of them as a security barrier with their iron bars and such. I have never had one of those, and they are more noticeable than the glass ones we use.

I realized we may be discussing two different types of doors in some of our posts.

Valued Contributor

I have always had a storm door here, both front and back doors. I don't like the looks of houses without them unless the doors are double doors. But for me personally, I prefer being able to open my inside door and keeping the storm door shut when answering to strangers. This keeps my dog from getting out too. Plus, even though I have floor to almost ceiling windows in my living room, which is right next to the front door, he gets so excited when I open the front door and he can watch outside from there. I don't know why that excites him so much. I guess he can see a bit farther down the road than he can from the window next to the door, lol.