Honored Contributor

Re: Do you prefer your Front Door to have a Storm Door, or no?

Yes, we have storm doors. The full glass ones. Pull the top glass down and the screen comes up. Like another poster said the air and the sun come in. That's what we like. Living with four seasons we prefer this.

Honored Contributor

No, I think they're unattractive. I have lots of windows for light and fresh air and my back door has one.

Honored Contributor

Have not had a storm door for the past 30 years.

Only very first house we built when just married had one. 

The last two houses we built, no.

We can't leave the front door open due to dogs that would bark at every little thing...and push through screens no problem.

Last 2 homes are insulated SO well, we don't need them for added protection from wind and snow.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I will say that I love the look of not having one, but I guess since for the past 30 years previously of having one, I feel a little vulnerable without one. I am sure it just takes some getting used to!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When our house was built it did not have a storm door.  One of the first things we did after we moved it was to install one.  I do not like opening the door without a barrier between me and whoever is outside.  Also like it for ventilation since our door had the option of having screens.

Now that I've read through all of the replies, I'm surprised that the security issue was not mentioned.  That was the prime motivator for us.

Honored Contributor

In my area and other places I've lived, storm doors NEVER are standard equipment for new homes.  Most people like to pick the style and color to individualized the house, or they have a beautiful front door and don't want a storm door to obscure it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Like @RespectLife  We haven't had one in 30 years either.  Our first house had a clear glass storm door, no screens, but not the other two.

Our last house had a 42"-wide door, and we had enough light in that house for anyone!  

Now our front door has a decorative pane in it, and  leads to a wide hallway, so we don't really need a storm door.  And I honestly don't see as many as I used to. 

Contributor

I live in Michigan and have a double door entry. House was built without storm doors. Both my husband and I grew up with storm doors on front and back doors. I did not want to cover up our entry doors (leaded/beveled glass incorporated into fiberglass security door) with storm doors so we researched and found a company, Phantom Screens, that is a retractable screen that pulls out from the side frames and magnetically attaches in the middle of the double door entry. So there is a screen that pulls out from the side frame and meet in the middle. We roll them into their frame during the winter and only use them during warm weather. The screens follow a track on the top and bottom when rolled open/closed. I love this alternative to permanent storm/screen doors. My goal was to not cover up my double front entry doors and this way the doors are visible all year round and we get the breeze/fresh air flow during the warmer months. Well worth the investment in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

I have a beautiful carved wood front door with a full glass "storm" door.  Here in central AL we have all kinds of wind & weather and the glass door helps protect the door and surrounding trim, etc.

Aesthetically, I like to decorate my door, the glass door protects it.

Mine is not for security purposes, nor for air flow.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a storm door.  Love having the front door open and being able to see out to the front porch.  We have a screen door that I'll be putting on soon so we can get a nice breeze in the house.  Most of the houses in our neighborhood have them.  We live in a quiet subdivision, so heavy traffic is not an issue. 

A screen door also protects our painted wooden door