Honored Contributor

Do you prefer your Front Door to have a Storm Door, or no?

[ Edited ]

I am noticing in our area, that the newer homes do not have storm doors. We recently moved and our old home had a storm door, that we replaced while living there, but our new home, we don't have one. It seemed very strange at first, and I even told my husband, I am not sure I like not having one.....But none of the homes in our subdivision have one....

What about you?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you prefer your Front Door to have a Storm Door, or no?

Imho you definitely need a storm door as it not only protects your front door from the effects of weather, but oftentimes it's nice just to leave the front door open and the fresh air in while keeping your house secure.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I have always had a storm door and would not like it if I didn't.  I like to open my house door, even in the cooler weather just to let the nice light come in.  Then in the summer I like it for the screen.  Had one on my homes and have one on our townhouse now.  You can get the ones that are all glass and you can barely tell they are there.  Mine, all I have to do is pull down the top glass to access the screen.  I love it and of course we all have the same here as usual in townhouse living.  

Valued Contributor

My house is in a designated historic part of town so I'm not allowed to have storm doors or storm windows. I do miss having a screen door though. 

Honored Contributor

Yes...have them on all exterior doors for insulation and weatherproofing.  It's also another door that's locked making it more difficult to break into the house.  

Honored Contributor

No storm door here.  I don't care for the look of them on a front entry door, nor would I use it for air flow.  I should mention however, that my front entry is covered.

Valued Contributor

Living in the mountains of upstate NY..All 3  doors  have storm doors. rarely use the doors..we come in from the garage.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in Arizona so I'm not sure what a storm door is (we don't get many storms maybe some rain if we're really lucky) but we have heavy duty security doors. It provides an extra level of security and makes us feel a bit more safe. You can open the regular front door in the winter to let the fresh air in while having the security door locked. In summer, everything stays closed.

Respected Contributor

I have and prefer a storm door. For the same reasons mentioned it provides an extra layer of security and in the warmer weather I like to open my front door and let sun and fresh air inside. Plus, my puppy likes to sit in front of the door and watch the people walk by the house. When he sees a cat on our porch he gets really excited. 

Honored Contributor

We have a country, cedar sided house.  A storm door would be out of place.