Respected Contributor

Re: Do you like to entertain

@Grade1Teach wrote:

I do, but it is always a lot of work.

We always host Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, and the 4th of July.  We usually have at least 20 people for each gathering, so there is a lot of thought and prep work that goes into it.

We also entertain friends a lot, which I enjoy as well.  It's usually one family at a time, so I can enjoy myself more.  With bigger parties, it's so much harder to sit down and enjoy.

These days we aren't doing much entertaining though.  Everything we do is in our backyard with just a few people, socially distanced.  I'm worried about all of the fall and winter holidays coming up.  I have a feeling we won't be able to have anyone over.  Smiley Sad

@Grade1Teach   I feel the same way about the upcoming holidays. It makes me sad.

Honored Contributor

I love to!

I just don't do it much anymore.

Most of my elder relatives have passed on, and those were my usual guests. I was lucky enough to have great aunts and uncles that lived into their late 80's and early 90's and they were the ones that had the time to come and enjoy a day with us, and I loved hosting them.

The family members in my generation don't get together very often, and many in my mom's generation are now gone as well. We would host families of my son's friends growing up sometimes too, but he is now a young adult out on his own. 

Just don't get to entertain anymore like I once did. It seemed to end so quickly too. I miss it.

Honored Contributor

No, I do not; I never have, and never will.

Honestly, I just don't like people in my home, and I no longer go to other people's homes.

For 30+ years my MIL insisted on a family Christmas gathering, so she could tell everyone that we were there. When she died, I was already years past being done, and my vote was that we let the Christmas tradition die.

I do not like visiting and spending time around others. With food allergies, I also HATE eating other people's food.
Esteemed Contributor

I liked it up until 10 or 12 years ago.  I would think a party was a good idea and then drive myself crazy cleaning, planning a table, shopping and cooking.

The day before a get together I asked my husband to help move a heavy cabinet so I could clean under it he said, "Jane, no one is going to look under this and they don't give a rat's azz if it's cleaned.  You've cleaned this house to within an inch of its life, stop."

He was right.  No one cared. My normal daily cleaning was good enough. No one cared if I had fresh flowers and/or candles on the table or that things matched or that I had cloth napkins. I drove myself nuts for no reason.

Now it's just usually my sister and her family.  Most times it's paper plates. We just enjoy the day and don't worry about it.

Honored Contributor

No.  I have a small apartment. 

Only one of our "group" entertains at home - basically appetirzers and drinks and conversation - and a much larger apartment.

Esteemed Contributor

@pprmntstx  I much prefer entertaining in my home to being a guest elsewhere. It's hard for me to sit still when out and about. Entertaining keeps me busy and I love serving my guests.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Yes, DH and I both really enjoy having close friends, and family in our home.  Cooking, talking, being together with people we both like is a real joy.

However, our home is our ‘safe place’ too, so never people we don’t know well.  Business / professional get togethers are hosted at our University Club.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Not much, but we did have family and friends over for dinner, BBQs, kids parties years ago.  Now I live alone and don't invite anyone over nor do I get invited to homes of others.  Have a few lady friends that I meet for lunch, (not since virus), talk on phone, etc.