Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you like to entertain

[ Edited ]

Just had a family gathering for the first time since Christmas on July 4th.

Everything was outdoors and potluck. 11 adults, 3 teens. The women agreed that this was fun and easy compared to last year which included double the number of people.

As an aside, I think those who were not in attendance this year were also the ones who did little or nothing to help with things, especially the clean up.

For me, entertaining reasonable numbers outdoors is what works.. I admire those who enjoy hosting AND cooking for large crowds in their homes. I am too old for that!

Esteemed Contributor

@SunSprite wrote:

Before I moved into my much smaller (starting to feel claustrophobic actually) townhome, I entertained a lot in my previous house. It had a huge backyard and we did a lot of grilling, bonfires, etc. It was a little bit rural, so loud music and parking wasn't an issue either. 

Since I've moved I haven't really entertained other than family. I don't feel I have the space, nor parking....and certainly not the yard. I'm one of those people that regret downsizing. I think (for me) I did it way too early.

@SunSprite Interesting that you said you down sized too early.  We have a fairly large home, and I think even that is too small.  I need to have a lot of space.  But, I have too much stuff.  So I think my "down sizing" will just be getting rid of things so that my home seems even bigger, lol.  At least your smaller space is easier to upkeep.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

No I dont and never really have, other than having friends over one at a time to hang out and talk!

Have always gotten together with family in their homes and like that.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

We don't like to entertain or have people over, other than immediate family.  I am not much of a cook.  I can't help but feel that friends or extended family would be judging me on my cooking, hosting, cleanliness of the house, etc.  I can not relax when there are people over.  I just don't enjoy it one bit and I am glad to see others feel the same way.  I always thought I was the only one who was uncomfortable with it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

I absolutely love it.  And I miss it.Woman Sad

The home we're in now we built, everything is perfect, but it is small.  I can still seat 12 comfortably in the living room/dining room, but can squeeze in more.

Our covered deck out back we can seat another 10 people and there is a large

patio underneath and a rather large back yard.

For some reason I usually dreaded throwing parties at our large house. It was huge compared to the last two beach homes we've owned. I never realized that at the time.  Now I feel at ease with everything.

I love to cook, I hate day to day (meal to meal) clean up, but for some reason with parties and/or having overnight guests I don't mind it at all.

I love to be around people, and I crave for the time when we can be again and won't have to worry.  It's funny but we have gotten so close to our different neighbors---they are like our *go to* people now.  But not really, they stay on their property and we stay on ours.  It's weird.

Honored Contributor

Not really into entertaining at my house. I always dread it. I usually host Christmas. Way too much work. I’d much rather go to someone else’s house or to a restaurant. Both my sisters love to entertain so I always let them host if they want. 

Valued Contributor

I love it, and I miss it.  I have a small family and friend group, so it's nice to show my love and appreciation for them by inviting them over often for a meal or a holiday.  I truly enjoy setting a beautiufl table and creating fun desserts and delicious meals.  I have so many treasured memories from times like that, and plenty of wonderful photos of my loved ones here.  

Respected Contributor

No, I don't....never did!

Esteemed Contributor

@Elodie2 wrote:

We used to have friends/neighbors over to grill burgers and have a beer or two.  Kids grew up and people developed different interests.  These days we mostly have family over particularly at holidays.  Entertaining was never my cup of tea.

@Elodie2  Same here. I really enjoyed having the neighbors over. I liked them better than my family! Hahahaha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

No.   I take guests out to dinner.

And then drop them off at a hotel!!! LOL   I hate hosting, entertaining, and lodging others, except for our daughter. 

I don't stay at other's homes either.  I am not comfortable doing so.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!