Valued Contributor

A friend of mine is a hoarder.  After many years, she has finally let someone help her clean out her house.  She still has a long way to go, but is certainly on the right path forward.  What about you...know any hoarders?

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you know any hoarders?

My neighbor's best friend is a hoarder. When I see her, of course, you would never know. Her marriage broke up and her kids moved out. 

I hope some day she realizes she needs help.

I watch that show once in a while and really feel sorry for some of them. There's always a reason why it happens.

Happy Sunday Weekend GIF - Happy Sunday Weekend Cup GIFs
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My neighbor was a hoarder.  Her place was filled floor to ceiling stuff with just path through the rooms.  Just one little spot to sit on her couch.  Her refridgerator had the groceries, still in the bags, just piled in there.  Her bedroom was the same, as was her bed with just one little spot for her to curl up in a ball on.

I knew all this because she asked me to feed her cat while she was away.  I felt so bad for that cat and being in her place gave me serious anxiety.  I don't know how she found anything.  Surprisingly, it didn't stink inside her house, even with the cat.  She told me her dad was the same way with the hoarding. 

I didn't know her well... and frankly I didn't want to.  That way of living signifies a serious problem.  It is a mental health problem or at least it shows very poor judgment.  What if there is a fire or some other thing.  

I do find the show Hoarders fascinating, though.  I don't know how people live like that.  I am the complete opposite.  I like clear tabletops and counters. lots of open space to relax. 

When my neighbor stopped by my place.  She was openly shocked by how clean it was and had the nerve to say to me-- "oh I could never live like this!"  

How rude!  I didn't say anything to her to judged her or her junk.  But she obviously felt some kind of way with that reaction.  lol.  She eventually met a guy and moved in with him.  She said he saw how she lived.  So he was ok with it.  I don't know.  She moved away and I wished her all the best.  lol.  

Respected Contributor

@pprmntstx wrote:

A friend of mine is a hoarder.  After many years, she has finally let someone help her clean out her house.  She still has a long way to go, but is certainly on the right path forward.  What about you...know any hoarders?

@pprmntstx No, I don't know any.  But I do remember, back in the day, (my day anyway, LOL)  that we called them "pack rats."

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

There is a guy down the street who went into the hospital last year. Don't know what happened but his kids I guess came over and ordered 3 giant construction dumpsters and filled them to the top and that was just the house. They didn't finish the garage or back yard. He has lived there since 1986 and I don't think he has done one thing to the house. No paint, no new A/C, no new roof. I can only imagine what it's like inside. He definitely needs help but it isn't my call.

Respected Contributor

I can't watch those shows - they give me anxiety.

I grew up in a house with a lot of clutter.  "Stuff" on every surface.  And I think later in life my Mom became a hoarder..  My grandmother was much the same way.   They couldn't throw anything away.  My husband was a bit like that too.  Not as bad as some of these people but just too much junk for me.  As a result - I think - I'm a neat freak.  I'm constantly purging.

What I'll never understand is the garbage in some of these houses.  It's much more than hoadring IMO.  And I remember seeina a house years ago that had no running water for years.  Can you imagine the filth and stench?  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes.  It appears as a deep and complex mental state of denial.

The facility to keep it "hidden" just exacerbates the denial.  The worse it becomes, the greater the denial yet also the more evident to those around, hence greater denial, and on and on it goes.

Unraveling the underlying cause can be guided but has to come from the hoarding individual.  The notion of "blame" needs to be re-considered, and "responsibility" to take its place.

I've run out of oxygen for this.  (No, I am not a hoarder)

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

It's not unknown in rural areas with high poverty rates.  People or their families were destitute so they can't throw anything away.  Some are happy and proud of their "stuff."

Old cars in the yard, washers and broke down chairs and sofas on the porch, etc.  Sheds and back yards stuffed with discarded items.

The name for it where I grew up was "junkers." They are poor and might need something, and many enjoy it as a hobby, some just don't have the ambition to deal with throwing something away.  Too much trouble.

Trusted Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I can't watch those shows - they give me anxiety.

I grew up in a house with a lot of clutter.  "Stuff" on every surface.  And I think later in life my Mom became a hoarder..  My grandmother was much the same way.   They couldn't throw anything away.  My husband was a bit like that too.  Not as bad as some of these people but just too much junk for me.  As a result - I think - I'm a neat freak.  I'm constantly purging.

What I'll never understand is the garbage in some of these houses.  It's much more than hoadring IMO.  And I remember seeina a house years ago that had no running water for years.  Can you imagine the filth and stench?  

@FranandZoe    I'm a neat freak too.  My parents were meticulous so I guess it's inherited.    Actually, I can't even stand dishes in the sink!  Since I am retired now..I like to keep things simple.  I recently donated half my closet of dressier work clothes and it was so liberating.  My only weakness is shoes. But... my granddaughter has already claimed some to keep for her.   Seeing that she is only 9, I doubt she will want them when they actually fit.  So...For now she has them put aside in the corner of my closet.  🤗

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hoarding does not discriminate regardless of socio economic status. It is a mental illness and that's why it can affect anyone. 

I too become anxious thinking about it. @FranandZoe  I constantly purge stuff. I have read that could also become an issue. 

I try to keep a happy medium, but I believe less is more.

Does anyone remember the story of Collyer's Mansion? It was a home in Harlem in NYC in the 30's and 40's.

They got buried in their rubble and died.  My parents would always refer to it when our place would get messy!