Respected Contributor

Re: Do you know ANYTHING about "Sound-proof Windows"?

@homedecor1 wrote:

@RinaRina 

They have something inside that keeps the heat out & they all tilt down for easy cleaning!!!!

Call your window company and ask them for tri-pane vinyl impact windows.  I'm sure they all sell them --

good luck🙂

I just called Andersen and they DON'T have triple pane windows.

Boo hoo ...

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

@Mellyg wrote:

It's my understanding that glass doesn't naturally absorb sound. So while there are things that may (or may not) help, it's hard to achieve with the glass used for residential windows. 

====================

I don't know what to do.  I live in a neighborhood where people think it's "normal" to play loud music.  I've checked with 3 other neighbors and they all said the same thing;  "it doesn't bother me".  The 2nd neighbor told me she was from New York and she LIKED the background noise because it reminded her of growing up in New York.

Ugh!

I just don't know what to do ...

My neighbors will NOT turn down their music.  They refuse.

Here's what I did when I had noisy neighbors - we moved! They were constantly loud and non-compliant. I've never been happier since we moved, and we live in the quietest neighborhood. The loud neighbors still live in that house!

That made me laugh @Effie54 ! We had neighbors that made us want to move. Fortunately, they moved out of state! 

@Caffeina you worded what I was thinking but couldn't articulate. You are spot on, though! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Re: Do you know ANYTHING about "Sound-proof Windows"?

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina  The Low E and Argon does not block the sun, just the harmful untraviolet rays which fade drapes, artwork, carpeting, furniture, etc. My plants are fine. 

ETA: Try Pella or Marvin. Much better quality than Anderson and both offer  triple-pane and a choice of wood with a vinyl clad on the outside, as well as all vinyl windows if you (like me) don't like the appearance of vinyl inside your home. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

When we were researching windows, we choose windows that were wood on the inside and vinyl clad on the outside only. I didn't want vinyl inside my home. After the installation was complete we had a professional stain them to match the floors and trim within the house (just like the original windows were). They are beautiful and make this home much more comfortable. Yes, they were very expensive but they have paid for themselves time and again.

When doing our research we preferred the craftmanship of Pella and Marvin windows. Nothing else came close to our wants or needs. One had the installer we wanted which was the deciding factor; he was the best in the business! You cannot skimp on the installation.

We waited over three months for him (his team joined him to do the large, heavy windows and doors one day) to have time to do our complete installation! It was well worth the wait, time taken for custom windows and money.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina 

We have triple pane low E windows.  Sorry, all I did was ask for them and PAY for them, my contractor did the rest.

They are wonderful!  I live in the middle of the Big Woods, and the energy savings is amazing.  I have read that the frame around the windows makes a big difference.  Aluminum conducts noise, Fiberglass and Wood do not.  Ours are Fiberglass because I never want to worry about painting them.  I don't even know if Aluminum would be used with Low E as it lose Heat too.

Good luck.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I have been seeing a commercial on T.V. for Pella windows and they mention something about sound proof windows or at least sound reducing windows, I'm not sure.  You could check them out.  Sorry if this was already posted as I did not read all replies. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@ Birkilady,

Did you end up getting Marvin or Pella windows?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Notes for me - Aluminum conducts noise.

Thanks, Drythe

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina   Be prepared for the windows to be very expensive.  My sister is replacing her windows with Marvin, and I couldn't believe the price.  She isn't getting sound proof windows either, but they will be very nice windows.  I think she had to do her window sills, too.  She got at least four estimates for Pella, Marvin and Anderson.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

Notes for me - Aluminum conducts noise.

Thanks, Drythe

@RinaRina 

Mine are Pella. 

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras