Respected Contributor

Do you know ANYTHING about "Sound-proof Windows"?

[ Edited ]

I've called 3 window companies and all 3 told me they didn't sell "sound-proof windows".

The 3rd co. said they could be special ordered from XXX XXX.

So, I called the XXX XXX.  I told the owner of the co. I wanted to buy "sound-proof" windows and he asked me if I lived near an airport.

I told him "no", but I had noisy neighbors.

So, he said, "you only need sound-proof windows if you live near an airport".

EYEROLL!

HOW do I get sound-proof windows!!! ?????

Anyone here have sound-proof windows?

Got any recommendations?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

Re: Do you know ANYTHING about "Sound-proof Windows"?

[ Edited ]

I know my answer isn't what you want to hear (but I'd rather be truthful than someone sell you something that won't help). Glass doesn't absorb sound, so there isn't a window for residential homes that are soundproof. 

Respected Contributor

@Mellyg wrote:

It's my understanding that glass doesn't naturally absorb sound. So while there are things that may (or may not) help, it's hard to achieve with the glass used for residential windows. 

====================

I don't know what to do.  I live in a neighborhood where people think it's "normal" to play loud music.  I've checked with 3 other neighbors and they all said the same thing;  "it doesn't bother me".  The 2nd neighbor told me she was from New York and she LIKED the background noise because it reminded her of growing up in New York.

Ugh!

I just don't know what to do ...

My neighbors will NOT turn down their music.  They refuse.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are you talking about triple-paned windows? We have them and they are fabulous! They also were made to block the sun and have kept my drapes and upholstery from fading (best money spent!). ETA: Low E with Argon added between the panes. Sorry, I forgot what the terminology was.The noise blocking was a feature we were pleasantly surprised about.

Triple-pane windows block so much more noise than a double pane window AND the utilities have been much less. They have paid for themselves time and again if many ways. 

When having new windows installed, make sure the installer is excellent. He is the most important part of the project and should not be a cost-saver. Go with the best you can find; research and look at some of his work before hiring an installer. It will be worth your time and extra money.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ask about low-E windows. Also windows with double-glaze glass which is more expensive. My new windows are low-E, double-pane with argon gas inside. I could not believe the difference in the sound coming in from the outside. I live in a very noisy area and my new windows made a huge difference. I couldn't be more happy with them. 

ETA- @RinaRina 

My post here is confusing and I have to apologize and clarify what I meant.

'Glazing' simply means a single pane of glass.'Double glazing' means double pane. The low-E is a coating which is applied to the glass on either one side or both sides of a pane of glass. My windows are made with low-E glass and are double pane (aka double glazed) but the low-E coating is on one side only.  I'm sorry for the confusion.

Valued Contributor

We have low e windows, and do love them! And double pane will help. So while there are things that will help, there isn't anything that will be "soundproof".  

Is there a noise ordinance in your city that can be enforced? 

Honored Contributor

Google "Indows".  They are inserts that are supposed to help reduce noise and keep out the cold.  We are considering them for our condo.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina 

It sounds as though you have "single pane" windows. We had them when we moved into this home..ugh -- you couldn't hear inside when the lawn people were mowing & 1/2 the time I had to do the sills because no barrier☹️.  (This house is traditional "track housing" builder from 25 years ago.)

Last year, I replaced all my windows (except 10' ft slider) with triple pane high impact hurricane windows.  Let me say they were very expensive for 16 single windows  + 2 cathedral style front windows.  Although, we had no choice because we live in FL and must be that grade.

I will tell you -- they're wonderful not only you can't hear a thing from outside, hear your neighbors & we save big $$$ on utilities as they are so energy efficient.  They have something inside that keeps the heat out & they all tilt down for easy cleaning!!!!

Call your window company and ask them for tri-pane vinyl impact windows.  I'm sure they all sell them --

good luck🙂

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BirkiLady wrote:

They also were made to block the sun and have kept my drapes and upholstery from fading (best money spent!). The noise blocking was a feature we were pleasantly surprised about.

Triple-pane windows block so much more noise than a double pane window AND the utilities have been much less. They have paid for themselves time and again if many ways. 
===========================

I have about 30 plants in the living room.  "Blocking" the sun would be a problem.

I also want to stop using my GROW-LIGHTS because when I was reading about E-windows, the article said infrared light is dangerous.  So, I've got to stop using the grow lights, but NOT block the sun at the same time.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 wrote:

@RinaRina 

It sounds as though you have "single pane" windows. We had them when we moved into this home..ugh -- you couldn't hear inside when the lawn people were mowing & 1/2 the time I had to do the sills because no barrier☹️.  (This house is traditional "track housing" builder from 25 years ago.)

Last year, I replaced all my windows (except 10' ft slider) with triple pane high impact hurricane windows.  Let me say they were very expensive for 16 single windows  + 2 cathedral style front windows.  Although, we had no choice because we live in FL and must be that grade.

I will tell you -- they're wonderful not only you can't hear a thing from outside, hear your neighbors & we save big $$$ on utilities as they are so energy efficient.  They have something inside that keeps the heat out & they all tilt down for easy cleaning!!!!

Call your window company and ask them for tri-pane vinyl impact windows.  I'm sure they all sell them --

good luck🙂

=============

Great!  Thanks!

BTW, what do you mean you had to do the sills?