Honored Contributor

Do you have some wood floors in your home, or all carpet?

Just watching a commercial for some of this floor covering. I have a lot carpet, but the look of wood in the kitchen and living room area. I have a large area rug in the livingroom. We always have had dogs, so I need rugs to prevent slipping for them. (One now).

Just wondering.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have some wood floors in your home, or all carpet?

I have hardwood floors in my kitchen, dining room, hall and foyer downstairs.  Upstairs I have hardwood in my master bedroom and hall.  Carpeting in all other areas, except tile in baths, but hardwood in downstairs powder room.

Regular Contributor

Just got rid of the last wall-to-wall this month .  Downsized to a new home a few years ago and had wall-to -wall removed and hardwood refinished in living, dining and halls.  Last week had master and office refinished.   Tile in kitchen and baths.  I have area rugs of assorted sizes and shapes throughout.  We also have a dog and he learned very quickly to stay on carpets or tread carefully.   Soooooo much easier to keep clean !

Esteemed Contributor

We have predominately carpet.  Hardwood in the entry hall, vinyl in the "work" areas such as the kitchen and baths.  I like it this way.  Carpet feels good on the feet and is quiet.  Vinyl is eminently washable.  I, too, have dogs, and yes, they have slipped in the entryway where the wood is.

I do keep a large area rug in the kitchen, over the vinyl.  The house sits on a buried crawl space and it helps to keep temperatures a little more consistent, too.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I have hardwood everywhere except the bathrooms.  My dog now and dogs in the past never had any trouble walking on them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Here it's wall to wall carpet and tile in kitchen, foyer, and bathrooms. I loved my hardwood floors back north and kind of miss them.

Honored Contributor

We have wood in the kitchen and dining room, and wall to wall carpet throughout the rest of the house.

I have lived places with lots of wood floors, and while they seem to need constant dusting (at least once a day for me), I think that when it comes time to replace flooring in the livingroom, we will be considering going to wood there as well. 

I have to say that I like both. I like the warmth a nice carpet gives a room, but if you aren't horribly hard on floors (we don't wear shoes in the house, and no small children running hard toys etc. over wood) I think wood can be kept so much cleaner. Carpets and rugs hold so much dust and dirt and require much more work to keep deep down clean. 

Honored Contributor

I have ceramic tile that looks like wood plank flooring everywhere except the bedrooms.  I have carpet in the bedrooms. 

I have vinyl plank flooring in the basement. 

I don't mind carpet in the bedrooms.  We don't wear shoes or eat in the bedrooms.  For the main living area, carpets look dirty and are hard to keep clean. 

Respected Contributor

We have wood downstairs:  hallways, dining room, living room, family room, sun room, bathroom and laundry room and kitchen.  Upstairs and on both stairways we have carpet.  We have 3 dogs and 2 cats.  The wood holds up pretty well with all of our animals!

Honored Contributor

I have hardwood floors in every room except the bathrooms.