Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you have some wood floors in your home, or all carpet?

I have hardwood floors in most areas of my condo. The kitchen, living room, and bedrooms. I have tile of course in the bathrooms. I have a few large area rugs on major open spaces. It was so nice to remove the carpet.

Today there are so many choices when selecting wood floors. I had the stairs done in Pergo.

I have a high gloss prefinished Bruce hardwood floors. The install is everything.

Respected Contributor

Wood everywhere except for the kitchen and dining room, the bathrooms, and the laundry room.  I have Saltillo tile in those areas.  I do not care for carpet. I prefer area rugs. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I wish I could explain this, but when we bought our OLD house 16 years ago, the hardwood floors on our first floor had been totally neglected, and with a little TLC they were brought back to life BEAUTIFULLY, and are still very good looking.

We used ProShot (don't think it's available on QVC any more, but that's where we got it at the time) and now just keep them dusted and swept.

They must have been VERY good quality when they were installed.

When/if we do our addition, I will consider hardwood floors in my kitchen AND my bedroom.

Honored Contributor

Hard wood every where except kitchen and bath.

Respected Contributor

It depends on your needs. Years ago, we ripped up all the carpets. I have alot less allergies now. I have tile and hardwood floors and purchased huge area rugs to place down everywhere. There are many types of wood you can get and even the look of wood. I would shop around to get the best prices.  

Honored Contributor

Unfortunately we have carpeting in all of our bedrooms and living room and up the stairs as well. Hardwood in kitchen and back hall only. I would love to have Hardwood everywhere thoug, much easier upkeep and I like the look better!!!!!!! 

Respected Contributor

We have hardwood in kitchen, dining room & hallway...it needs refinishing. Carpet in living/bedrooms, sheet vinyl in bathrooms/laundry room, tile in foyer/mudroom. I would love to extend the hardwood to the foyer (it's hardly ever used, so upkeep isn't an issue) and the living room. DH thinks the 20 ft. cathedral ceiling in the LR would make it too echo-y without carpet. I said we'd put down an area rug...his reply was, "Well, if your going to cover most of the wood with a rug, then what's the point?". He may be right! I do like carpet in the bedrooms, though, it feels more cozy to me.

It's just me, but I would never have tile in bathroom/laundry room. We've had leaks, and it was necessary to replace the subfloors. Tile would have been very expensive to replace!

Honored Contributor

We have wood floors in all rooms except one bedroom and the bathrooms.  Every room has an area rug as part of the decor.  We love wood floors as they are so easy to clean.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Out of four beach houses, I have all hardwood and tile.  The ony rugs are the bath mats.

It's easier to clean (I have to clean two of them as they are beach rentals). 

I vacuum them first, then use a wet mop and wash the floors weekly.  (Am not a Swiffer chick!) The water has not damaged the hardwood. 

All of the homes are from the 1930's to the 1950's and the original hardwoods, except we had them all refinished.

I love the look of a beautiful carpet, but at the beach it's just not practical.

I also love the tile (porches, kitchens, baths and one house has a laundry room).