Regular Contributor

Re: Do you have pets in your home? Have you ever been criticized for it?

On 4/7/2015 DREAMON said:

I have always had pets till very recently. I have a friend who really does not like animals at all. My son just got a dog and I told her that he would be bringing the dog with him when he stays on weekends occasionally.....she couldn't believe I would allow that. She is a nice person and treats me wonderful BUT her attitude towards people with pets drives me crazy.

I really can't imagine telling someone you were bringing an animal to their house if it was not invited. Especially if you know they don't like animals. Sorry, siding with your friend on this one.

Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2015 molisa said:
On 4/7/2015 mominohio said:
On 4/7/2015 SunValley said: Haven't read all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat. I have no problem with being in a home with pets but when I see cats sitting on the kitchen countertops and then food being prepared it skeeves me out. I am sorry but cats do not have clean bottoms. Otherwise it doesn't bother me even though I have allergies to cat/dog hair. I just bring tissues. I visit because the people are important to me (but do have a problem with the cat on the counter thing).

I was highly allergic to cats in my young years (even took shots) but in my late 20's started to be able to tolerate cats without the horrible reactions. Ever since, we have had a cat or two in the house (actually they come and go, in and out as they please). And even with a couple of decades plus of being a cat 'mommy', I do not tolerate cats on tables or counters. I don't really like them on my furniture at all, but the two I have now have a couple of spots on the chairs in the family room that you will find them curled up when the weather is cold.

I've never had a hard time keeping cats off the counters and tables till recently. I have one, that will challenge me constantly about that, but I win the battle. I don't like it because they walk in their potty, and that is just kind of gross, when it comes to food prep/serve areas.

It is not just pets in homes, I know many might think this is strange but I really don't like to eat what others have cooked if I don't know them well or have not been in their home (sometimes after being in their home I don't!) I do have two stories about cooking and pets. About 20-25 years ago in my first "real" job we had a potluck. A woman brought in a large plate of brownies. As we were eating she told the story of while the brownies were cooling in the pan, her cat started to nibble them. She laughed and said she just cut off the part with cat teethmarks and brought the rest. You should have seen the looks on people's faces. You can bet the rest of the brownies remained untouched! Also, a few years after that I was working at a large medical clinic. One of the doctors built a large, beautiful home and had his support staff (which included me) to lunch one day to see the house. The table was set and a beautiful lunch was catered in. While we were sitting in the formal dining room eating lunch his two cats proceeded to walk in, jump on the table, and take "cat baths" while we ate. He and his wife said nothing and made no attempt to remove the cats. Might not have bothered some, but it did me.

That said, those of you who have pets in your house - enjoy - life it too short to worry about what others think.

This sort of stuff skeeves me out.

Esteemed Contributor

Love me, love my dog. Dog(s) and one cat at the time. I keep a very clean home ~ if someone doesn't like it and doesn't want to come ~ oh, well. I've never had anyone complain about our pets. Most of our friends have pets and maybe that's why they are our friends.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

People not eating at someone's house just because they have pets inside? OK, that's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

I'd rather avoid the people that insist on their pets living outside their entire lives. Those aren't the people I'd want to associate with.

Trusted Contributor

Lots of people in my office who don't believe that pets should be inside the house. They won't eat anything someone brings in, if they know they have inside pets. (They're pretty judgemental about a lot of things, including this.)

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

On 4/7/2015 molisa said:
On 4/7/2015 mominohio said:
On 4/7/2015 SunValley said: Haven't read all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat. I have no problem with being in a home with pets but when I see cats sitting on the kitchen countertops and then food being prepared it skeeves me out. I am sorry but cats do not have clean bottoms. Otherwise it doesn't bother me even though I have allergies to cat/dog hair. I just bring tissues. I visit because the people are important to me (but do have a problem with the cat on the counter thing).

I was highly allergic to cats in my young years (even took shots) but in my late 20's started to be able to tolerate cats without the horrible reactions. Ever since, we have had a cat or two in the house (actually they come and go, in and out as they please). And even with a couple of decades plus of being a cat 'mommy', I do not tolerate cats on tables or counters. I don't really like them on my furniture at all, but the two I have now have a couple of spots on the chairs in the family room that you will find them curled up when the weather is cold.

I've never had a hard time keeping cats off the counters and tables till recently. I have one, that will challenge me constantly about that, but I win the battle. I don't like it because they walk in their potty, and that is just kind of gross, when it comes to food prep/serve areas.

It is not just pets in homes, I know many might think this is strange but I really don't like to eat what others have cooked if I don't know them well or have not been in their home (sometimes after being in their home I don't!) I do have two stories about cooking and pets. About 20-25 years ago in my first "real" job we had a potluck. A woman brought in a large plate of brownies. As we were eating she told the story of while the brownies were cooling in the pan, her cat started to nibble them. She laughed and said she just cut off the part with cat teethmarks and brought the rest. You should have seen the looks on people's faces. You can bet the rest of the brownies remained untouched! Also, a few years after that I was working at a large medical clinic. One of the doctors built a large, beautiful home and had his support staff (which included me) to lunch one day to see the house. The table was set and a beautiful lunch was catered in. While we were sitting in the formal dining room eating lunch his two cats proceeded to walk in, jump on the table, and take "cat baths" while we ate. He and his wife said nothing and made no attempt to remove the cats. Might not have bothered some, but it did me.

That said, those of you who have pets in your house - enjoy - life it too short to worry about what others think.

I'm sorry but this made me laugh until I cried--so outrageous it's funny. Ok, for what it's worth, I would have had no problem eating those brownies.

As a matter of fact, I've shared a few spoonfuls of ice cream with my cat---we ate off the same spoon. Now you know just how deranged I am.

And no, I don't cook this way, so you won't get poisoned at my home. Cool

Honored Contributor

I don't mind a house where there are pets, but I expect the place to be clean and the pets well behaved, if I'm invited over. I never had a dog live in the house for any length of time, but we have always had a cat or two inside. I'm not much of an entertainer so we don't have people over with any regularity, but no one has ever had any complaints about the cleanliness of the house or the pets. I would not invite some one to my home who did not like animals and probably would not be friends with someone who didn't like animals.

Honored Contributor

My real opinion? OP asked but I don't think many of you want it. Very often here there is a topic started and the known-aforehand result is that people who don't have a pet in the house are bashed and judged very hard. Do you REALLY think that says a lot for those particular people who DO have pets in the house? It it never ceases to amaze me. . .

Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2015 DREAMON said:

I have always had pets till very recently. I have a friend who really does not like animals at all. My son just got a dog and I told her that he would be bringing the dog with him when he stays on weekends occasionally.....she couldn't believe I would allow that. She is a nice person and treats me wonderful BUT her attitude towards people with pets drives me crazy.

Molisa: I really can't imagine telling someone you were bringing an animal to their house if it was not invited. Especially if you know they don't like animals. Sorry, siding with your friend on this one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}Mmmmm, I took this differently. Dreamon's son was bringing his dog to Dreamon's (his Mom's) home - she seemed ok with it.

Dreamon's friend did not think her son should be bringing the dog to his Mom's home - NOT the friends home.

Regular Contributor

On 4/7/2015 ChiliPepper said:
On 4/7/2015 DREAMON said: <p style="line-height: 16px; margin: 0px 0px 12px; word-wrap: break-word; outline: none; letter-spacing: 0px; padding: 0px; zoom: 1;"> I have always had pets till very recently. I have a friend who really does not like animals at all. My son just got a dog and I told her that he would be bringing the dog with him when he stays on weekends occasionally.....she couldn't believe I would allow that. She is a nice person and treats me wonderful BUT her attitude towards people with pets drives me crazy.

I really can't imagine telling someone you were bringing an animal to their house if it was not invited. Especially if you know they don't like animals. Sorry, siding with your friend on this one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}Mmmmm, I took this differently. Dreamon's son was bringing his dog to Dreamon's (his Mom's) home - she seemed ok with it.

Dreamon's friend didnot think her son should be bringing the dog to his Mom's home - NOT the friends home.

Sorry, I misread. Thought it said he was taking it to the friends home. Yes, if his mom is okay with it, really none of the friends business.