Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have pets in your home? Have you ever been criticized for it?

Haven't read all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat. I have no problem with being in a home with pets but when I see cats sitting on the kitchen countertops and then food being prepared it skeeves me out. I am sorry but cats do not have clean bottoms. Otherwise it doesn't bother me even though I have allergies to cat/dog hair. I just bring tissues. I visit because the people are important to me (but do have a problem with the cat on the counter thing).
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You can have pets and a clean home...When growing up we always had a dog, and my mom was a little fanatical about having a clean house......I know some people who do not have pets, and still do not have a clean home....Sometimes you can smell dogs or cats, and sometimes you can't. It all depends on how clean the person is that owns the pet.....Everyone is different and clean to one person, isn't to the next...I don't believe in categorizing people and lumping people together like that....

Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2015 candys mine said:

Does anyone else besides your husbands cousins wife have a problem with your home? Pets do not instantly mean your home is dirty. I have had dogs and cats all my life and I have to say that the only time someone commented on the smell in my house was when I had a scented candle burning! I don't think I know anyone who doesn't have a pet.

Nope. Not that I've ever heard from or figured out based on their behavior while here, anyway.

This lady was a nut job. They truly lived in filth, floors rotted through, roaches, hoarder like surroundings. I personally think she was a combination of mentally ill, and super controlling. I've always thought that some women who don't like pets are jealous of the attention that others give to the animal. I've often thought they are so insecure and need to get all the attention, and couldn't bear to share it with an animal.

Super Contributor

On 4/7/2015 molisa said:

I have nothing against pets but the don't belong in my home. I am extremely picky about cleanliness. Not only can I tell if someone has pets when I walk in their home, I can often tell when I meet them. Clothes with pet hair on them, coats and other rarely cleaned items have a smell clinging to them (and don't protest, it is true, you are used to it if you have pets and that is fineSmile.) I won't eat at a house that has indoor pets or eat food that comes from one.

That said, it's your home and if you want a full on petting zoo in your living room or one dog in your sunroom and anything in between that is fine with me. That is the great part about living in a democracy, no one gets to dictate if you have animals in your house our not. Live your life and move on!

I respect your opinion and enjoy that this board offers the opportunity to harness varying perspectives.

I will tell you that before I was married, I dated a restaurant owner of a very high end franchise. His venue was in a top Boston hotel. If you went into the kitchen, sometimes "things happened." You have no control or knowledge as a diner as to what goes on behind the scenes.

Moreover, some of the most expensive waterfront highrise condos in our Boston area (multimillion dollar) have a rodent problem that is controlled, but will never go away. Some residents may not have pets, but the buildings do.

It may not be what you do know, but rather what you don't know that would fluster your buster! Wink

Regular Contributor

On 4/7/2015 mominohio said:
On 4/7/2015 molisa said:

I have nothing against pets but the don't belong in my home. I am extremely picky about cleanliness. Not only can I tell if someone has pets when I walk in their home, I can often tell when I meet them. Clothes with pet hair on them, coats and other rarely cleaned items have a smell clinging to them (and don't protest, it is true, you are used to it if you have pets and that is fineSmile.) I won't eat at a house that has indoor pets or eat food that comes from one.

That said, it's your home and if you want a full on petting zoo in your living room or one dog in your sunroom and anything in between that is fine with me. That is the great part about living in a democracy, no one gets to dictate if you have animals in your house our not. Live your life and move on!

molisa, your opinion in definitely in the minority here, and I'm so glad that you did post, and I totally respect your opinion. I can tell that you are one who, while preferring to not have pets, doesn't dislike animals or feel they have no place in other people's lives.

I think it is like some people who wish to not have children. They don't hate kids, and understand how others wish to be parents, but just choose to live a life without that particular experience.

Thanks for sharing a different view.

Thanks! I do like animals, pets are just not for me. I have a 9 year old and have asked him several times if he would like a dog (we have a large fenced back yard.) Even though I don't I did not want to deny him a pet if he wanted one. He has thought about it and said no, he likes dogs but does not want to take care of one. Thanks for recognizing that just because you don't want a pet does not mean you hate animals or are a bad, mean, uncaring person!

Honored Contributor

On 4/7/2015 SunValley said: Haven't read all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat. I have no problem with being in a home with pets but when I see cats sitting on the kitchen countertops and then food being prepared it skeeves me out. I am sorry but cats do not have clean bottoms. Otherwise it doesn't bother me even though I have allergies to cat/dog hair. I just bring tissues. I visit because the people are important to me (but do have a problem with the cat on the counter thing).

I was highly allergic to cats in my young years (even took shots) but in my late 20's started to be able to tolerate cats without the horrible reactions. Ever since, we have had a cat or two in the house (actually they come and go, in and out as they please). And even with a couple of decades plus of being a cat 'mommy', I do not tolerate cats on tables or counters. I don't really like them on my furniture at all, but the two I have now have a couple of spots on the chairs in the family room that you will find them curled up when the weather is cold.

I've never had a hard time keeping cats off the counters and tables till recently. I have one, that will challenge me constantly about that, but I win the battle. I don't like it because they walk in their potty, and that is just kind of gross, when it comes to food prep/serve areas.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed reading so many of these replys. Our eighty-five pound pitt is one of the lights in our lives. He gets a regular bath and a touch of Banana Republic cologne! I've spent so many nights watching tv or reading with his head in my lap. If people don't want to come over (and they're all dog/cat lovers anyway!), then I don't think I'll miss them!

Regular Contributor

On 4/7/2015 stevieb said:

Anyone not interested in visiting my home because I have pets is more than welcome not to... In fact, I'd prefer they didn't. I can be just as closed minded as they and I personally feel there is something intrinsically lacking in people who do not care for animals.

My thoughts exactly!

Regular Contributor

On 4/7/2015 mominohio said:
On 4/7/2015 SunValley said: Haven't read all the posts so sorry if this is a repeat. I have no problem with being in a home with pets but when I see cats sitting on the kitchen countertops and then food being prepared it skeeves me out. I am sorry but cats do not have clean bottoms. Otherwise it doesn't bother me even though I have allergies to cat/dog hair. I just bring tissues. I visit because the people are important to me (but do have a problem with the cat on the counter thing).

I was highly allergic to cats in my young years (even took shots) but in my late 20's started to be able to tolerate cats without the horrible reactions. Ever since, we have had a cat or two in the house (actually they come and go, in and out as they please). And even with a couple of decades plus of being a cat 'mommy', I do not tolerate cats on tables or counters. I don't really like them on my furniture at all, but the two I have now have a couple of spots on the chairs in the family room that you will find them curled up when the weather is cold.

I've never had a hard time keeping cats off the counters and tables till recently. I have one, that will challenge me constantly about that, but I win the battle. I don't like it because they walk in their potty, and that is just kind of gross, when it comes to food prep/serve areas.

It is not just pets in homes, I know many might think this is strange but I really don't like to eat what others have cooked if I don't know them well or have not been in their home (sometimes after being in their home I don't!) I do have two stories about cooking and pets. About 20-25 years ago in my first "real" job we had a potluck. A woman brought in a large plate of brownies. As we were eating she told the story of while the brownies were cooling in the pan, her cat started to nibble them. She laughed and said she just cut off the part with cat teethmarks and brought the rest. You should have seen the looks on people's faces. You can bet the rest of the brownies remained untouched! Also, a few years after that I was working at a large medical clinic. One of the doctors built a large, beautiful home and had his support staff (which included me) to lunch one day to see the house. The table was set and a beautiful lunch was catered in. While we were sitting in the formal dining room eating lunch his two cats proceeded to walk in, jump on the table, and take "cat baths" while we ate. He and his wife said nothing and made no attempt to remove the cats. Might not have bothered some, but it did me.

That said, those of you who have pets in your house - enjoy - life it too short to worry about what others think.

Honored Contributor

I have always had pets till very recently. I have a friend who really does not like animals at all. My son just got a dog and I told her that he would be bringing the dog with him when he stays on weekends occasionally.....she couldn't believe I would allow that. She is a nice person and treats me wonderful BUT her attitude towards people with pets drives me crazy.