Respected Contributor

Re: Do you have an obsession in Home Design?

I would not call it an obsession. I like metal wall art. And, antler lighting.

Now, I did have an obsession with fur throws there for awhile 😂 - tidied them all up by rolling up and placing in a couple large floor baskets. 

Now, I do seem to have an obsession with telavara pottery for outside. I can ALWAYS find a place for another piece it seems ... on the deck, in the planter, on the porch, in the yard, on the wall, on the fence .... hahaha ... oh, I do not think that obsession will ever stop ... way too much territory to cover yet ...

Happy shopping ladies for your personal  obsession, what ever that may be!! 😀

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I have several, but have to keep them in perspective, as my house is small. I love Throw pillows especially on beds, and I love throw rugs, and of course Candles and family photos......My hubby did a beautiful Family Photo wall in our living room and I just love it.....

I just love to exchange things out, just to change things up a bit. So I hang on to things that I love and put them in storage, and then maybe a year later I will bring them and exhange them for what ever else I have. That way I am not constantly buying something new, and I am utilizing what I have......

Esteemed Contributor

I too seem to have a throw pillow obsession.   I do believe as others stated that there is a fine line between decor and clutter.   I've always felt I missed my calling and should have been an interior decorator as all of my friends say my home has a comfy cozy feeling.  As far as pillows I think if I purchase one more my DH will literally faint!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some of the art in my home:

The hand of God.jpg

Bernini 1

Bernini 2.jpg

Bernini 3.jpg

These are all just prints, obviously. The first is Michelango and the other 3 are Bernini.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@ID2wrote:

I LOVE decorating my lakeside home but hate the cluttered look. So it takes a fine line expressing my taste without junking up the place. Woman Happy

@ID2

I agree that there is a very fine line between expressing a taste, creating a look or feeling, and junking up or cluttering up a space.

I had a bad habit in the past, of creating these great vignettes. Taken independently, they were beautiful, multil layered and multi textured. They were warm and homey sometimes, or elegant and sophisticated at other times.

The problem was that I looked around one day, and saw that while individually, they looked great, but with several in one area (room), it was beginning to seem like 'too much' for the space. The overall look was becoming cluttered looking to me. 

I see this a lot in home decor. Great stuff, great arranging, just too much of it when you move from looking at the 'tree' (the individual vignette) and consider the entire forest (the whole room).

I can stand a bit more on display in the fall, at Christmas and early winter. But by spring, I want to unlayer the rooms a bit, have more open space, and an overall 'cleaner' look.

I used to be into a few pillows and throws used decoratively, and in certain seasons, still can do with a little bit of that, but unless the room is pretty undecorated beyond that, pillows and throws, no matter how pretty, get really cluttered looking, unless the are curated really well for the space.

And I'm turning away from prints in upholstery and textiles in the main living areas as I think when mostly solids or tone on tones are used, it allows for more expression in the vignettes without things getting too busy. I've really moved past a lot of printed fabrics in my home, with the exception of the quilts on the beds, and even then, it does limit the amount of other things I feel then look appropriate in the room. 

Honored Contributor

I know exactly what @Mominohio describes when she says there were too many vignettes.  I, too, used to love my vignettes in my living room and dining room.  They pleased me non-stop.  But looking at the whole is equally important and, like her, I realized there were too many for those spaces.

I did something similar in my kitchen recently, but with color.  I had been determined to make a blue and yellow theme work but finally realized I had a neutral floor, and wood cabinets (which I considered painting but now probably will not) and was just trying too hard to make all the colors work as equal partners.  For my kitchen, I found that it made more sense to focus on the yellow and the neutrals and have the blue not take such a large proportion of the visual.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I love pillows too; however, how do you store them @Regal Bee when not in use? 

For example, do you have a clever way/place to store them if you have seasonal pillows and need to store them away for several months.

That's my problem, I love to have pillows; however, to store them away is my problem...some of them are quite large (especially the set that came with my love seat and sofa).   When the seasons change, I want to bring out the seasonal pillows but don't have a good place to store the others.   Any ideas?   

P.S.  No room in my closets.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop,

My new sofa and loveseat came with 6 large pillows.  I put them in a large space bag, took the air out and put that flat bag in a closet.   When I get rid of the furniture, the pillows will leave here too, looking brand new.   

Trusted Contributor

@RedTop love your suggestion......THANK YOU!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am obsessed with seasonal decor:

Easter/spring

Fall/Autumn

CHRISTMAS!!!!!

I try to keep spread my vignettes around my home so it doesn't look cluttered....I display some, and store some and do a rotation on what I display..........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”