Occasional Contributor

Re: Do you have an aquarium?

I do - I have 2. One is a 55-gallon with African Cyclids and the other is 45-gallons with the same. Full of fish and lava rocks and very healthy. They are lots of work but I enjoy them alot. I have gotten children of friends into the hobby over the years and they love it. My four dogs like to lay in front of them and watch the fish. The maintenance is challenging but worth the effort.

Respected Contributor

When we bought our house many years ago the family room had an aquarium in it. A good size one. The owner said do you want it. It looked a little murky to me. We said no. We bought a dog from him. She was a beautiful Samoyed. Two months later he came over with his German Shepherd. We kept him after a first sleepless night. He was the best dog ever. Oh my God I got carried away

Respected Contributor

they are really nice but alot of work and if water ph is off fish can die easy. we have been through it many times. we had bought parrot fish. there so pretty.

Respected Contributor

I had one for years.....lovely to look at but tons of work.

Honored Contributor

I'm a little surprised at how many comment on the amount of work involved. I have four tanks going currently and I probably spend a total of an hour a week maintaining all four tanks. I have canister filters going on my bigger tanks and they only require cleaning once a month or so and I'll do one at a time. It takes me about ten minutes to clean a canister filter. I have air driven sponge filters in every tank. I have heavily planted tanks so I don't do massive water changes, but my water changes are pretty fast and easy. My tanks are really not that much work for the pleasure I get from them. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

No. 

A family member has a huge one (built into a wall; in fact, it IS the wall in that room) that is a salt water tank and WOW, just WOW on the fish/sea creatures living in this thing. It's gorgeous and she's discussed the time and money she's put into it. She has back up pumps and a generator to make sure it stays perfect all the time. I know she has spent $$$$ on acquiring some of the sea creatures as well.

It's amazing to look at and very peaceful.