Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a deck awning, or just an umbrella like I do?

@Lilysmom wrote:

@SilleeMee , wow on 95 mph winds!  Where do you live?  Does it happen often?  LM

Yes, we get strong winds here and they can get pretty bad a few times a year. We also get huge hail...baseball and golf ball size. That can destroy awnings or anything left out on the deck, including the deck itself. I live in Colorado. High altitude has some disadvantages. @Lilysmom 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee @Wow again. I learned something new today.  LM

Honored Contributor

We had and estimate last summer for an awning for our back deck.  I think it was around $5200.  The deck space is 12x14 or 12x15 ft. not including the stairs.

We didn't act on it and I'm sure the price has gone up.  But we are going to get one.  Hopefully they'll still have the estimate on file and honor that.

Ours is going to be 'fixed' to the house and railings.  Too windy as we are a block from the bay and about 5 from the ocean.  The wind just blows and blows sometimes.

We had the same company install window awnings and a fixed (hard) awning for our back door.  

They come and take them down in the fall and will put them back up for summer, when we call them.

Neighbors do have shorter retractables for the front of their homes.  (Although I've never seen them 'out'.)

Our back deck is full sun till about one p.m. and I'd like to be able to sit in shade late morning.  An added plus is to be out there when it's sprinkling or even raining.  We eat dinner out there all summer long.

Super Contributor

I have a Sunsetter, 10x20, installed 15 years ago. It still looks new. You can’t keep them fully rolled out in rain and high winds, also, hail.

I love mine, it becomes really hot here, over 110 for most of the late spring through summer and it really helps to keep the sun off the back wall and windows, and it keeps my patio plants from burning in the sun or stressing out.

When I purchased mine, to add the electrical part to it was over a thousand dollar, therefore I have a manual. They’ve come down in price, get the electrical. I had strained my arm and it was painful to roll the awning out.

Mine has not faded in the sun or torn.

Frequent Contributor

@qualitygal I wish we had an awning for our back deck.  We just have an umbrella and the deck gets so hot in the summer you don't dare walk on it with bare feet.  Please post an hints you find out if you decide to go with an awning. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

We had a covered patio that we screened in.

Super Contributor

@qshpr89

My patio also becomes too hot to walk on. With the sunsetter awning it helps to cool it down. Last year I purchased 8x10 and 5x7 patio mats from the Q to put down and I can walk on the patio even when the awning isn't rolled all the way out.

I no longer see them on the Q, however you may find them at Costco or any patio store, Lowels sometimes has them.

Frequent Contributor

@Reilley Thank you for the tip.  I will have to look for those.  I haven't gone that route because our house backs to a nature area, and I have to hose off the deck if we don't get rain to get rid of the our feathered friends visiting notices! LOL!  But, if it will help our poor dog out I might have to try it.