Honored Contributor

Re: Do you have a deck awning, or just an umbrella like I do?

[ Edited ]

@nana59, @qualitygal    Our's is motorized too, very handy, convenient. Big time winds, it rolls back itself via wind bouncing it.

Great stripes, patterns and colors out there too. Our's is striped, looks great off the back of the house right outside the back door over patio area, much needed to shield from the hot afternoon sun.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom 

I remember many years back when you and I had conversation here about your awning.

As a result DH and I had a Sunesta motorized awning installed.  Due to the configuration of our house we had to do a roof mount.  We still say it was one of the best purchases we have made.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny , even though the company we picked was the highest price what convinced me to use them is that they end up repairing what everyone else sells.  Definitely the right choice.  I have never regretted that purchase!  LM

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Costco carries the sunsetter brand (TV ad company).

Esteemed Contributor

We just have a patio umrella table. Last year I purchasedf an oversized off set umbrella and what a difference that has made. i swear...it's 10degrees cooler in the family room and outside.  I would love to enclose our patio but with thre dogs needed space to run around it just becomes more of a project than I want to add to this season's "list ". Good Luck with your's.     

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@qualitygal   I had a deck awning, but they need replacing around every five years, so when the last one shredded, I now use an umbrella.  It was not a motorized awning.

It seems like you could make it last longer by retracting when not in use.  No?

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom Yes, I remember you telling about that company.  I had so wished they operated in the US.  We had a hard time finding a company to do ours because of the roof mount requirement.  Our local awning company wouldn't touch it at the time, and other companies said we weren't in their service area.

We lucked out when a representative from Sunesta agreed to take on the job.  Ours has been up about 10 years and no problems.  We didn't get the wind or rain sensors, even without those options it was a sizable investiment.

Honored Contributor

I don't have anything on my deck that can be blown away in the wind. Awnings around here get torn off and become dangerous when they become airborne. Forget about the umbrellas...you don't see them around here much because of the wind. Just a few weeks ago we had 95mph winds and I was worried something was going to hit my house or a tree would fall and do some serious damage...but TG nothing happened. My neighbor lost part of her wooden awning off her deck and pieces of it were way gone down the street.

Valued Contributor

I HAVE A TABLE WITH AN UMBRELLA PLUS A SWING THAT FITS 4 HAS AN AWNING OVER IT  HAVE A BIG DECK   LOVE IT

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee , wow on 95 mph winds!  Where do you live?  Does it happen often?  LM