Honored Contributor

Re: Do you feel your home is cluttered or not?

No, my home is not cluttered, except for the guest room (lol). By clutter, to me it means stuff covering every surface, no open spaces or walls crowded with decor. My guest room does need some items removed from the wall decor and that will be done soon, once I make up my mind which items go and which stay.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee

No, my home is not cluttered.  However, I have a lot of items in basement storage that I rotate from time to time, especially holidays. 

I have a service for 12 dinnerware with a lot of extra pieces that was given to me by MIL.  It's Noritake in the Doris pattern and has been in the family for several generations.  I would like to conquer and divide the dinnerware but am not quite sure how to do it.  It actually takes up two china cabinets!  Donating it is NOT an option.

Your question reminds me that several years ago when we delivered a holiday meal to a man in our town I was in shock.  As soon as he opened the door we noticed newspapers stacked up all over the front room.  Their were actual "paths" to go from one room to another.  All we could think of was "fire hazard" and how all those papers would contribute to a fast moving fire with all that kindling.  Smiley Sad  Now that was clutter!

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Living space is no but closets is yes.

We have minimal storage because we live on the water and can't store anything on our lower level due to the risk of flooding. 

My kids and grandkids have their own rooms and closet space here. They spend a lot of time here on Holidays and Summer. If that space was mine to use I would not have cluttered closets. We enjoy them being here so it is what it is.

Esteemed Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Regal Beewrote:

Ladies, thank you for your thoughts. I really like knowing  where your thinking processes are. 

I read several decorating blogs and I am constantly reading decorating books and current  decorating magazines and I see no evidence that decluttering is a current trend....yet, I see it referenced here all the time. This has been really interesting.

I do believe one should surround oneself with what you love. I also do not see neatness and clutter as one. My old design studio had crafting clutter abounding but was neat as a pen with dust nowhere. 

I still maintain that clutter is relative and who's to say that anything is too much.

Happy Tuesday evening. Smiley Very Happy

@Regal Bee

It is my feeling clutter can mean different things to different people. Before I expound, let me take a moment to say I think your home is so lovely. You have such a knack for decorating in a warm, cozy and cohesive fashion where your furnishings (this is very important to me!) complement the style of your home. Might you be an interior decorator? 

If a home is not decorated to my taste, I might use the term cluttered to mask my dislike for a style that simply does not meet my aesthetic (especially if there is an abundance of stuff I don't like). I believe it is a sensory thing for me--almost as if being assaulted by unpleasant things.

My own home is my urban oasis. I like to think I have just the right amount of decor to create a welcoming environment for all who enter while at the same time keeping a neat, clean, uncluttered open space with a place for everything and everything in its place.

@magicmoodz  Thank you for your kind words...they are appreciated. I am a retired Interior Designer and LOVE being retired. 

Also, many thanks for your insights. You have really helped me to understand about the term cluttered which I was taking literally. I tend to be a black and white thinker and get caught up in that sometimes. 

@Regal Bee

Just as I suspected. Your lovely home reflects your chosen profession!