Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you feel your home is cluttered or not?

No.  I dislike clutter.   I  throw things out or take them to St. Vincent's whenever I buy something new.

When my mom passed away 2 years ago, I did keep the cedar chest & beautiful all one piece wooden twisted candle holder that her dad made for her.  He also made beautiful inlaid wooden jewelry boxes that I use & enjoy.  These things will last forever, but I doubt that my ds or dd will want them.  Maybe my dgd will want them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Regal Beewrote:

It seems like I see this term....cluttered.....so much in the home forum.

Do you feel your home is cluttered or not? How do you define cluttered? 

I think calling a room/space/home 'cluttered' is relative. What is cluttered to one person is often minimal to another......yet, I continually see this reference. How do you feel about it?

I think it is just a trend in decorating. I remember years ago in the 80's purchasing every book Don Aslett wrote about how to clear clutter. We lived in an apartment and it was mandatory not to have too much "stuff" because the place would quickly look cluttered. Now that I have a house, I have more room and but I still have no dust collectors. I got rid of all the Hummels and Lladro's and anything else that screamed 1980's. I like a stream-lined environment but long before this trend came about I followed it out of necessity.

I do think a person has to be careful of getting rid of too much stuff. After awhile, a home can start to look like the waiting room of a doctor's office. There is a fine line between a neat, streamlined environment and a cold, sterile home with nothing much in it.

Esteemed Contributor

Overall my home isn’t cluttered.I’m pretty neat . My son’s room is a different story.Lol!!

Honored Contributor

To me, cluttered means a lot of stuff.  Every inch of every surface has something on it.  Whether it's the floor, walls or furniture.  My house is not cluttered.  It didn't get that way without a lot of work though.  It's not bare either.  

Honored Contributor

I define clutter as stuff where it doesn't belong. That definition allows for different decorating styles because I know people like to display collections and things that have special meaning to them. I have a lot of colored glassware on display, which others might call clutter, but to me it's pretty.

Honored Contributor

I am cluttered and really hate it.  When our mom passed away my sisters didn't want much.  I was very surprised.  I couldn't part with mamas things, what she touched, wore, and treasured.  So her things came to my house.  Her things are all that I have left of our precious parents.  

Honored Contributor

I started decluttering years ago with the hopes to move, the move never happened but the house has stayed clutter free, I still move things out as needed.

The things I have are family things, things DH and I have bought since our marriage and other things I/we like....if I don't like it or I don't use it out it goes.

The house looks so good without a lot of stuff.

Honored Contributor

Yes, my house is cluttered. When my parents died, all my brothers wanted was the money. So I was in charge of cleaning out their house and settling their estate. I came home with numerous tubs of stuff. And the problem is I do not know what to do with all the crystal, china and silverware. I donated lots of stuff. But I don't want to get rid of the tablecloth that my Grandmother crocheted. But I know no one else is the least bit interested in it. 

I guess I should just bite the bullet and donate all the tubs.

Unfortunately, I also bought far too much "stuff" and have been attempting to sell "my stuff". But I have to start now. While the items still have value.

Respected Contributor

I started the to declutter about three years ago. A lot went. Some without my husbands knowing how much. I told him it was time to do the cellar. No his answer was we needed everything that was down there. I complained until he finally went down and did it. The cellar was bare except for his work bench. I had shelves and even they were gone. I am still weeding out and won’t stop. I can’t imagine moving but someday we may. The house is too big for us. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't.  Things I have around are things I like having around.  I think the arrangement of things is aesthetically pleasing.

Closets are not stuffed and the garage is organized.  My truck lives in there, too.

I have no need to "purge" either.  Of course, things have to be gotten rid of sometimes.  I am not obsessed with it.

Cogito ergo sum