Honored Contributor

Re: Do you feel your home is cluttered or not?

@RedTop  Wow I could have written your post about the houses I have cleared out and the "stuff" I inherited!  A couple of years ago it dawned on me that "I AM NOT A MUSEUM!"  It doesn't bring people back or make them closer to keep all this stuff.  They are gone.

So I got rid of 95 percent of it.  It was a wonderful feeling!  I've gotten rid of much of my stuff too, and am still in the process!  But it has freed me! 

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1wrote:

How do you part with your mothers hope chest full of her memories.  Her dresser where her hands folded and placed each item in.  Think I'm gonna stay cluttered a little while longer.

@Sweet Caroline 1  I parted with two of them and don't miss them in the least.  My aunt's and my mom's as well as other things.  I lived with stuff I didn't want and didn't love for a number of years and they nearly squeezed me out of my house.  

I decided that they had lived their lives as they wanted with their stuff, and I needed to live my life as I would like it.  So I kept very few things. . . 

That was my solution and it isn't for everyone.  But in the end it was easy for ME to part with it and not have stuff everywhere. 

Honored Contributor

Every inch of my house is decorated, but I would not say it is cluttered.  I do not let "stuff" pile up.

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee

A very interesting topic but personally I think the word "clutter" when it pertains to our homes is perceived differently.  

For instance, I never thought of my home as "cluttered" but "welcoming & homey" aka loved my vignettes, florals, wreaths, pics on the walls, decor on tabletops, etc. 

Well, over these past 3 months I had to pack up my treasures to bare minimum for work being done in house.  

When completed the rooms look so large & fresh I opted to keep it "minimal".  Few pics out and didn't put stuff back up on walls and didn't put valances/drapes back up.  Let the natural light and wood blinds be my "window dressing'.

Of course, everything was "back in place" I had a yard sale.  I sold pieces of furniture that were clearly to big or dark for the rooms.  Donated a lot of unneeded things and of course, trashed unusable things.

Now my home is decorated light & airy.  No more "excess" things anywhere!  So I don't think my home previously was "cluttered" just decorated & furnished with too much stuff to "overpower"  the beauty of the rooms (does that make sense?)

Everything looked beautiful until Saturday when we had to empty the garage for contractor & my husband brought everything inside😳. I only have to live with it another 2 weeks & maybe just maybe they will be done & things will get back to "somewhat normal"🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Respected Contributor

My home is not cluttered.  It's decorated, but it's just enough.  

I dislike seeing groupings over every surface.  That is clutter to me.  That is not my style.

As far as cabinets, closets, drawers - there has to be room to find things easily.  

I just do not want to have so much "stuff."  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

To me clutter is stuff that you don’t want or need or love.Clutter is stuff that you are storing just in case and clutter is stuff that is in the way and has to be moved so you can use the space.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1wrote:

How do you part with your mothers hope chest full of her memories.  Her dresser where her hands folded and placed each item in.  Think I'm gonna stay cluttered a little while longer.

@Sweet Caroline 1  I parted with two of them and don't miss them in the least.  My aunt's and my mom's as well as other things.  I lived with stuff I didn't want and didn't love for a number of years and they nearly squeezed me out of my house.  

I decided that they had lived their lives as they wanted with their stuff, and I needed to live my life as I would like it.  So I kept very few things. . . 

That was my solution and it isn't for everyone.  But in the end it was easy for ME to part with it and not have stuff everywhere. 

Thank you Sooner for your words of encouragement.  Mothers things are antiques and dark wood.  I like shabby chic and light colors.  Would rather pass them down to anyone who would love and take care of the furniture as she did.

Honored Contributor

I think if you watch HGTV You will hear the word Clutter used a lot, especially when staging a home to sell, etc......

Honored Contributor

I make a lot of effort to keep my home from being cluttered. I think it has just enough bric a brack around to feel personal and cozy.

Trusted Contributor

My home is cluttered.  My husband did it, and continues to add to the mess. There is not a surface anywhere that doesn't have a nick-nack, small lamp, large bowl with stuff in it,  The nick-nacks drive me nuts - absolutely nuts.  The kitchen drives me out of my mind.  He just purchased another small lamp to put on the glass table in the living room.  When I mention all the "stuff" he says why do we want to hide all our momentos?  UGH!  Every table and surface.  You can't even see the top of the breakfront in the dininig room - topped with statues, large platters, SAVE ME!