Honored Contributor

Re: Do you feel your home is cluttered or not?

How do you part with your mothers hope chest full of her memories.  Her dresser where her hands folded and placed each item in.  Think I'm gonna stay cluttered a little while longer.

Trusted Contributor

I really do not have a cluttered home.  Sometimes when I watch the show hoarders the next day I am getting rid of things.  Then I’m sorry I did it! I figure when I pass on my kids can sell everything at a yard sale for a dime. Antiques, decorator pieces,gold jewelry and whatever else they can find. Children today they do not want the things that came from their parents or their grandparents. It is all disposable to them. We are losing our family history.

Honored Contributor

Cluttered would be an understatement.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ladies, thank you for your thoughts. I really like knowing  where your thinking processes are. 

I read several decorating blogs and I am constantly reading decorating books and current  decorating magazines and I see no evidence that decluttering is a current trend....yet, I see it referenced here all the time. This has been really interesting.

I do believe one should surround oneself with what you love. I also do not see neatness and clutter as one. My old design studio had crafting clutter abounding but was neat as a pen with dust nowhere. 

I still maintain that clutter is relative and who's to say that anything is too much.

Happy Tuesday evening. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee and everyone,

I think everyone might enjoy this column from my local paper this past Sunday:

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/03/28/in-defense-of-stuff-my-objects-are-a-museum-of-a-life-well-l...

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I have way too much stuff and I'd like to pare it down. That said, while some areas of my home are cluttered, others, though they might hold a lot, aren't cluttered to me. I like decorative objects and so while I might like to rid myself of excess clothing, boxes, books, papers, and so on, most of the art, furniture and decorative pieces stay, even if I have to store and rotate them occasionally. While I don't want every square inch of space covered, I am not a fan of bare floors, walls or table tops, or empty bookshelves. Otherwise, I might just as well live in a residential hotel, with all the warmth and comforts of home they offer. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Not cluttered. I consider stuff piled up or in boxes that you never use clutter.  I decorate very simple, and don’t like to use too much furniture. I also consider a messy closet, cluttered.  

Respected Contributor

My home is not cluttered. I like my home to be inviting, but at the same time I also like things picked up and uncluttered. The line between comfortable and cluttered is when I start to feel claustrophobic. That’s the best way I can explain it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Regal Beewrote:

Ladies, thank you for your thoughts. I really like knowing  where your thinking processes are. 

I read several decorating blogs and I am constantly reading decorating books and current  decorating magazines and I see no evidence that decluttering is a current trend....yet, I see it referenced here all the time. This has been really interesting.

I do believe one should surround oneself with what you love. I also do not see neatness and clutter as one. My old design studio had crafting clutter abounding but was neat as a pen with dust nowhere. 

I still maintain that clutter is relative and who's to say that anything is too much.

Happy Tuesday evening. Smiley Very Happy

@Regal Bee

It is my feeling clutter can mean different things to different people. Before I expound, let me take a moment to say I think your home is so lovely. You have such a knack for decorating in a warm, cozy and cohesive fashion where your furnishings (this is very important to me!) complement the style of your home. Might you be an interior decorator? 

If a home is not decorated to my taste, I might use the term cluttered to mask my dislike for a style that simply does not meet my aesthetic (especially if there is an abundance of stuff I don't like). I believe it is a sensory thing for me--almost as if being assaulted by unpleasant things.

My own home is my urban oasis. I like to think I have just the right amount of decor to create a welcoming environment for all who enter while at the same time keeping a neat, clean, uncluttered open space with a place for everything and everything in its place.

Esteemed Contributor

When I had a larger home I didn't think it was cluttered, but maybe it was. In my town home, I'm continually downsizing, especially after having just had the interior painted. Cluttered to me is too many collectibles, knick knacks, dried flowers and just stuff on every wall and on top of every table. I've never done that, but I still am trying to get to the point where I get rid of all that stuff I've accumulated and stored in closets, drawers, countertops, etc. I'm going for a clean slate. I don't want "stuff" sitting out everywhere!