Honored Contributor

Re: Do you do laundry daily or wait and.........

I do it once a week.

It takes most of the day but that's it, it's over and done with for another 7 days.

Honored Contributor

Monday is my primary laundry day.  But I do laundry as needed, sometimes 2 to 3 days a week.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Respected Contributor

@panda1234   Yes, we use a new towel after each shower.  Even though you are clean when you get out of the shower, as you dry with the towel you are shedding skin cells on to the towel; then you dry your feet that have been on the floor as you leave the shower to dry; then you hang a used wet towel up to dry.   Perfect atmosphere for bacteria to grow.  Also I would not want to be drying my face (nose, mouth, eyes) with that same towel that previously dried other parts of the body in addition to breathing in the bacteria that grow progressively worse as the week passed.

When DH had knee replacements, his surgeon stressed not to re-use towels because of bacteria growth on used towels.  But we have always only used a new towel each shower.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twice a week for  my regular casual clothes, Thursday and Sunday warm water.

I do just my pillow cases twice a week, Wednesday and Saturday my low water loads.  Other sheet components are done roughly every 10-14 days.

Towels are done once every three weeks on a Sunday too, so that's two loads on that Sunday.

Sometimes I do an extra load for just dress shirts which is a light low water load using cool water.

Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

@panda1234   Yes, we use a new towel after each shower.  Even though you are clean when you get out of the shower, as you dry with the towel you are shedding skin cells on to the towel; then you dry your feet that have been on the floor as you leave the shower to dry; then you hang a used wet towel up to dry.   Perfect atmosphere for bacteria to grow.  Also I would not want to be drying my face (nose, mouth, eyes) with that same towel that previously dried other parts of the body in addition to breathing in the bacteria that grow progressively worse as the week passed.

When DH had knee replacements, his surgeon stressed not to re-use towels because of bacteria growth on used towels.  But we have always only used a new towel each shower.

@KathyM23  Growing up everyone had their own towel and that is what they used. I guess because we did not have a dryer my mom did it this way, never questioned it. After reading your post, we may have to do things differently. I would hate all of that laundry not to mention buying more towels but yes, it is sort of gross. 

Respected Contributor

Well honestly, I do not seem to have a laundry routine anymore.

I would tend to say, we do laundry when the laundry basket is 

pretty much heaping and needs to me done. Ridiculous I know.

We never seem to run out of anything, except perhaps socks once in

awhile in the cooler months. 

(Hmmm, maybe I should just buy us some more socks this fall. Yep!)

(Well, OK fine ... and maybe start doing laundry a little more often ...)

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

During the summer, we have many overnighters (mosty family).  So I'm doing beach towels, bathing suits and bath towels every day.  Then a load of darks and at least one load of whites. 

I love doing wash.  I hang my wash outside.  Most days it dries within an hour.  My back yard is full sun and there's always a breeze going.

I've been known to say to my husband 'take that off, I want to wash it'.Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

We are a family of 6 and I seem to do at least one load of laundry every day.  During the week especially for sports gear and towels for my swimmers that smell after one use ugh.  Thankfully I work from home which makes it easier.

I save sheets for the weekends but if I can get some clothes washed throughout the week it helps.

I'm afraid to count how many loads of laundry I do in a year.  I have taught 2 of my kids to run the washing machine so they can do a load on their own as well.

Respected Contributor

Every other day.

Esteemed Contributor

Can you imagine the laundry the Duggars do in a week?  That thought is enough to put me over the edge.