Respected Contributor

Re: Do you do laundry daily or wait and.........

I do two loads of clothes weekly, then also the towels and sheets.  There are only two of us.  Not a specific day.  Even if the loads are small I do them weekly.  I usually use a bath towel twice, so I don’t have 14 bath towels/hand towels/wash cloths.  

Honored Contributor

I have two wooden clothes hampers in the br hallway.  One is darkseid, the other, whites and lights.  The boys had their own hamper  as teens and did their own laundry.   ( Or faced the consequences.)   I was "mom", not a slave!

Honored Contributor

@KathyM23 Not the least bit.  I guess people have lots of idle time on their hands.

Esteemed Contributor

Sheets on Fri

DH & mine separate, done as needed.  His clothes need Lysol Antibacterial (really helps with his rashes)  I don't need it. 

I like to hang mine outside to dry, it doesn't matter to him.

Valued Contributor

I work full time so laundry is done on Saturdays and Sundays. I usually do sheets, towels and bathroom mats on Saturdays and then a load of lights and darks on Sundays. Quilts and duvet covers are done on Saturdays. 

Trusted Contributor

Every day— with bedding either every Wednesday or every Thursday.

Honored Contributor

I believe laundry on Mondays was a thing (and still is big time for my Amish neighbors) because back in the day, it was a whole day job, especially when they had to heat water, boil the clothing, hang it on the line, etc. 

The wringer washer made things much easier, but still a big job. 

For me, now that there are just two of us at home, I don't wash as often. My husband wears a uniform for work (that work pays to send out to be cleaned) so most weeks we generate very little laundry, relative to what life was like a few years ago. 

We have a septic system, so I have to plan and do laundry around the needs of the system. If we are having lots of rain, I do less, if we are having really dry periods, I take advantage of that and do extra things like the quilts on the beds, or the area rugs etc. 

I try to keep up on the laundry because of being on a septic. I grew up and lived my earlier adult life with city water and sewer, and I could do 10 loads of laundry all on one day if I wanted. I tried that when I first moved here, not realizing a septic system isn't designed to hold that much water running through it in such a short time. 

When you have a well and septic, you learn to be a good steward of your resources, and it dictates your schedule for such things oftentimes.

Honored Contributor

Once a week for regular laundry.  That's plenty for just DH and I.  If I only have a couple items for one load, I just wait until I have a bigger load as I don't like to waste water.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@KathyM23 wrote:

There are 2 of us and we wash sheets once a week.  Towels twice a week as that is 14 towels and 14 wash cloths and that is too many lay around for a week.

I usually have two loads per week of clothes; one light colors and 1 dark colors.  That is if I wash them once a week.  Sometimes I let it go more than a week and make up 3 loads that I would do over a 2-day period.

DH washes his own work clothes; he works part time and washes them as needed.  He also washes 2 loads of regular clothes per week.

Neither of us have a particular day to wash - it's whenever the mood strikes.

@KathyM23  WOW that's a lot of towels. You must use a clean one everyday. We use the same one all week because we are clean when we get out of the shower. 

Honored Contributor

No set days for laundry but always in the morning. Usually only three loads a week (four when there is enough of DH's work clothes for a large load).