Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do you do laundry daily or wait and.........

@Mj12  Wow my head was somewhere else.  My simple snawer should have been yes, PA Dutch pot pie not with crust.  Sorry.

I'm going to go pull my head out of whatever it was struck in. lol  It's been a long day.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I just made chicken pot pie on Sunday in a pot big enough for a small child to take a bath in.  I have very little left.  my kids took some home and I gave some away to other people.  I put diced potatoes in mine and fresh parsley...made the broth homemade dough squares just like your Gram. It Sounds like your Gram was a wonderful cook.

My family loves it.  I am gluten free...So none for me.

I also made two Apple pies, so I rolled out a lot of dough.  I confess that I used my food processor, unlike my mother who mixed the dough by hand.

Respected Contributor

My mother always did laundry on Mondays.  At that time, she had a wringer washer and clothes were hung outside on a clothesline to dry.  She had to change the water after every load.  Yes, I am old.  

I do laundry when the hamper is full.  I typically do sheets and towels on the same day and our clothes on another day so a couple of times a week.  No special day, just when the need is apparent. 

Respected Contributor

There are 2 of us and we wash sheets once a week.  Towels twice a week as that is 14 towels and 14 wash cloths and that is too many lay around for a week.

I usually have two loads per week of clothes; one light colors and 1 dark colors.  That is if I wash them once a week.  Sometimes I let it go more than a week and make up 3 loads that I would do over a 2-day period.

DH washes his own work clothes; he works part time and washes them as needed.  He also washes 2 loads of regular clothes per week.

Neither of us have a particular day to wash - it's whenever the mood strikes.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 I remember as a young girl, begging my mother to help her wash with the "wringer" washer.  She finally relented and cautioned me and guided me as I put the cloths through.  I thought it was a treat for me 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie   I sometimes prefer that to pot pie with a crust.  Yes, she and my Mom were both great cooks.  Nothing fancy but good old fashioned home cooking.  Nothing was ever written down though.

When I asked Mom how she made something I got "about this much of this, a pinch of that etc".

I taught myself over the years.  I can't sing, sew, dance, paint but by darn I can cook.

Honored Contributor

I do several small loads....and maybe one big load a week.  Sometimes it is clothing....other times Rugs or blankets or towels.  Just two of us so not a lot of laundry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I haven't made a chicken pot pie with crust for years.  My family has never been crazy about them.

But the Chicken and dumpling type of pot pie brings all of my kids home.  You would think they never ate before.

My Mother was a wonderful cook.  She always cooked from scratch.  I was in the kitchen talking to her most of the time.  I think I learned by just watching.  She allowed to me cook by myself when I was very young.  I was making homemade jams at around age 12.

when I think of how dangerous our gas oven was, I shudder.  I would never allow my kids to use something like that.  You would have to turn on the gas and hold a lit match over a hole on the bottom of the oven and poof,  the oven would light. It was scary.

i was too scared to light a match, so I lit a piece of raw spaghetti on the gas burner and laid it over the hole and then turned the gas on while I stood back.

Oh, those were the days. 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear   I hate my new washer too.  It is a Maytag Bravo non-agitator.  DH probably gets tired of hearing me say I hate this washer.  I do it every time I take the clothes out of the washe and they are wrapped around that silly nub that replaced the agitator and come out a wrinkled mess. 

Respected Contributor

@rms1954   I find it an interesting discussion.  It's nice to hear how others do things.  Evidently you have read this far into the conversation, so maybe you find it at least a little interesting?