Do you create things for your home?

Any kind of creating at all?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you create things for your home?

I've knitted afghans and pillow covers.

Honored Contributor

Dust and clutter.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

Yes, I do quite a bit of "creating" around the house.  I sew a lot of home decorating things, curtains, pillows and slipcovers.  I also do some faux painting with pretty good results.  I started painting old furniture about 20 years ago.  Old stuff that needs sprucing up, or things my husband finds at yard sales or even on the curb.  I started with doing things with floral motifs on the doors or drawers. I ;enjoy having different painted pieces and different antiquing glazes.

I've done a little marble-izing tops of dressers and tables.  I've done some faux bricks on a couple of interior walls.  I even did some brick painting on our old, stained, cracked patio in our previous house.  Boy, let me tell you that was a nightmare to do!

I've dabbled in just about everything, and I still like to do things for the house.  I used to sew a lot of my clothes too when I worked, but oddly, when I retired 20 years ago I lost my interest in sewing clothes.  I keep thinking I will get back into it, but I haven't so far.

Sprucing up the house is the one thing I still like to do, but at my age I've been doing a lot less than I used to..not that I can't, I just don't have the incentive.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47   How cool, you're one talented lady.  

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@blueroses47   How cool, you're one talented lady.  

I'm not so talented...it's just something I have always liked to do.  Sometimes I laugh and say I"m jack of all trades, master of none.

I remember years ago when I was in my late teens or so, and all these "antiquing kits" became popular.  I started antiquing anything I could get my hands on.  Then there was this old rough-wood box that my family's encyclopedia set had come in.  I had this idea I would refinish it and my father could mount it on the wall in my bedroom, as a book shelf.

My dad was so negative.  He told me it was too awful to make into a shelf.  But I went ahead and worked on it, and it wasn't really bad at all.  He mounted it on the wall with some decorative brass brackets above my desk and had to admit it turned out okay.

I just find it a wonderful way to get my mind off my worries for a while.  If I'm really absorbed in a project like that,I forget about other things.  Works for me.

Respected Contributor

I have, and I hope to again.  

Many years ago, I had a small space between the vanity in the bathroom and the wall, and I really needed counter space badly!  My dad had a wood shop in his basement (150 miles away). I told him we needed to make a table/counter top to fit in that space (6-8 inches wide, and we did.  It was so much fun!  

Several years after that, my parents were living in Florida, and I also made the move.  I was planning to build furniture for my house with him when I moved, and was really looking forward to it.  Unfortunately, he got sick just before I got here, and we never got to the projects I wanted to do.  

I made a huge pillow for my furbabies, that they've loved for years.  It's 4' square!  I also had a print of a wonderful photo I took enlarged on a metal background.  

I'm crafty, and need to create!

Honored Contributor

I sewed up my curtains and valances for my windows when I moved into my new house 33 years ago. I stenciled some walls in my kitchen and hand made the wallpaper border for my powder room. Did a few staining jobs on wood furniture and painted a iron bedframe. Did a  faux stained glass on the side light of my front door. Did some candlewick pillow tops that I had framed for my wall. Was into needle point big time and did many seat covers that never got used. Made twisted paper/styro foam  veggies for decor on my table. Made assorted wreaths. Made no sew quilted Xmas ornaments too. 

Esteemed Contributor

No, I don't have a creative bone in my body.  I don't paint, sew, craft, etc.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Oh I tried creating things ...they pretty much always looked like I created them...

gotta laugh, so no, I gave up many years ago.

My idea of creating is arranging  bought items thru out my home for the look I am

going for.

-Texas Hill Country-