Honored Contributor

Re: Do you Polish your own Hardwood Floors?

[ Edited ]

I use Bona or Murphey's Oil with water....the machine lays down a thin film and scrubs....then it sucks all the water up off of the floor.  I would use a lush towel afterwards to protect from water damage....but the machine does a great job.  I've been using it on beautiful santos mahogany floors for many years and they look great.  But I appreciate and understand your comment.

@Nightowlz wrote:

@phoenixbrd@Krimpette

I was told by the Installer & Seller not to use plain water on the floors as over time it would dull the finish. I started using the Pledge products. It's in a spray bottle. I just spray the floor & mop with damp microfiber mop. Leaves the floor clean without rinsing o& no sticky residue.

Honored Contributor

I always had big oriental style rugs covering most of my Bruce Hardwood floors so I only had to clean and polish what showed. Bruce had their own product for their floors, but I stopped buying that years ago. My floors are 38 years old and still look decent, I don't do anything other than wipe the floors from time to time with Murphy's Oil Soap.

Honored Contributor

I started using Bona at the recommendation of people here and my floors have never looked better.  I was using Swiffer Wet for a while and Murphy's before that and they always looked dull.

I just had tile and vinyl installed in my house and tried the Bona for tile for the first time last week and love it.

I still need to clean the new vinyl floors.  They are super dusty right now from installation and painting.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

When we built I specified the color stain I wanted on our White Oak floors, and the type of finish.  I wanted a semi-gloss finish not a glossy shine.

I clean with a steam mop and then buff using straight Bona.  Floors are 17 years old, and still look great.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina, your post sent me back to my childhood.  My mother used to wax the floors.  We had a buffer machine and, after she finished, we used to line up to run and slide down the hallway in our socking feet.  Thanks for the memory!   LM

Respected Contributor

I just did ours on Thursday.   It's a rental and they were pretty rough when we moved in late October.   May be the original's from when the house was built in the 1930's.  

Anyway I did do them on my hands and knees UGH.  I used Liquid Gold and spead it on with a soft cloth and left them alone for a while.  30 minutes or so.  Then went back over with another dry soft cloth.   We can't believe the difference.  They don't look brand new but they look great.   No more obvious gouges or scratches.  I also got up as much of the paint splatter as possible.   Painter must not have been very careful. 

Next time I'll use a bona or swiffer stick with a soft cloth and save my back and knees.   Good luck.

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina ~

AWE GEESE!  "LOL!"  Here is how to make your wood floors SHINE! 

Accidentally tip over a bottle of PTR Retinol PM.  Allow half of the bottle to empty onto your floor.  As you try to wipe it up, it magically spreads out farther and farther...  By the time you are done, you will have the most beautifully polished wood!  

Just a thought - This process is rather spendy!  Smiley LOL

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

We retired and moved and purchased a new home and it has engineered hardwood floors and we were told to just use Bona cleaner on them and that's what we use.  I'm not sure how these floors will hold up over time, so if anyone has had hardwood engineered hardwood floors for a long period of time, please let me know.  Since it's just us and no pets or children/grandchildren, I do hope they hold up.  Many people are now going to the LVT Luxury Vinyl Tile since it holds up better.