Honored Contributor

I think this is the cutest, most descriptive name for a space.  Instead of vast, cavernous family rooms, the British have small, cozy rooms with soft overstuffed furniture, pillows, throws, gas burning stoves, books and all manner of things to promote relaxation.  Since many of us are essentially house-bound, perhaps we need snugs too.

What is a snug room and why do so many homeowners create them

A snug is a small and private room that’s designed to offer peace and relaxation. Here in the UK you can also think of it as a cosy room to chill out and relax in, whilst stereotypical features include oak flooring, a log burner, a bookcase and plaint paint or textured wallpaper. We recommend that if you’re designing a snug, you design it to be warm and cosy all year round, whilst it should be a room that doesn’t include technology and is merely designed to allow your mind to wander, whilst you can read books or magazines and listen to the radio. Keeping a snug simple is what separates it from a living room. We love the idea of installing a traditional log burner in your snug, because sometimes nothing quite beats the smell, sound and sight of a roaring fire. You will of course have to see whether this is practical in your home, and be mindful that you’ll need to have a regular supply of hardwood logs, especially in the winter months, but this would certainly be a wonderful addition to a snug room.

With comfort and simplicity being key to the creation of a snug, it’s also important to have a sofa or set of chairs that are perfect for lounging in. You should be able to snuggle up beside the fire with a book and the radio playing in the background, so choosing a chair that’s friendly to your body will be a great help too. If you love the idea of creating a snug and have a spare room in your house, know that it doesn’t take a great deal of effort, just a few additions are needed, so it doesn’t have to be a big investment.

Screenshot_20201009-164529~2.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I love this!!! .... the top picture is my favorite & would be the one I’d be most comfortable in 😊

Respected Contributor

I added snug to my vocabulary a few months ago when I started watching the British "Escape to the Country." Now the word "den" pops into my mind whenever they show one. In the US, a den is usually a separate room. In the UK, a snug can be any spot for warm and cozy relaxing -- in a hallway, within another room, etc. I love them.

Other words I've learned: single or double bedrooms, the utility, lobby (never heard this used in a private home), garden (meaning the whole backyard). More that I can't remember right now.

I watch these old Brit shows on DABL.

Honored Contributor

How adorable!!!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

The first snug is fine for me!  I love the idea, coziness and warmth, comfort and relaxation.  I love to read and listen to music and a snug would be a perfect area to do both.  Leave it to the Brits to think of this but I have a feeling maybe of us already have snugs and have been enjoying the space!!!!!!!  

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 

I enjoyed this.  I'm just wondering where the hot chocolate is??  That's the only thing missing .. or with the Brits, hot tea.  

Sounds like the ideal place to also include a nap as part of the relaxation process  Woman Very Happy .. then, back to reading.

Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I added snug to my vocabulary a few months ago when I started watching the British "Escape to the Country." Now the word "den" pops into my mind whenever they show one. In the US, a den is usually a separate room. In the UK, a snug can be any spot for warm and cozy relaxing -- in a hallway, within another room, etc. I love them.

Other words I've learned: single or double bedrooms, the utility, lobby (never heard this used in a private home), garden (meaning the whole backyard). More that I can't remember right now.

I watch these old Brit shows on DABL.

@PickyPicky3   I love "Escape to the Country".  Watch 2-3 hours of it every day.  Another new word I picked up was "diner", a combo kitchen/dining room.  I could never live with those "wardrobes" instead of big closets, though.  I never realized how beautiful Great Britian is until I saw "Escape to the Country".  It's like "Househunters" on steroids, so much more personality 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

When i think of a snug I think of a 5x5 area. I´m claustrophobic. I need a master bedroom for a snug. lol

Trusted Contributor

Very hygge. And if you don't have a snug, you might want an alcove, an inglenook, a bay, or a hideaway. I'll take mine with a side of squishy cushions!

Valued Contributor

Kachina, where do you watch Escape To The Country?