Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Like Wind Chimes?

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Again, thanks for the input.  I reserve the right to listen to my chimes when it is gently breezy, and when I am home.

I now silence them when I am not home, and on a gusty, windy day.  Usually at night, too.  I pay attention to whether my neighbors have their AC on (windows closed).

I put up with many things that I am not thrilled with, from my neighbors.  I do not complain, and I try to play fair.

I get to hear chimes sometimes.🌈

Brava, @Sweetbay magnolia, and if everyone were as considerate, I doubt anyone would have a problem with them.

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann, I certainly hope not.  

Hopefully they understand that it is a now-and-again thing, and nerves don't get set on edge every time there is a "ting".💨

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love them, but my family does not.  Therefore I only have one wind chime; it hangs outside my TV room, so I am the only one enjoying it.   It came from a craft shop, is nearly 3 ft tall and has deep melodious tones.  I find it quite soothing, but do not like the chimes with a tinkling metallic sound.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, my BIL gave us an expensive set he bought for us in Hawaii.  The sound is very nice but I use them rarely.  Our lots are large (almost 2 acres) but they are loud enough to hear I think.  It is a big set.  If I do use them, I put them in my screened in deck and tie them up at night.  I have a small set at lakeside and I leave them up.  Our houses are far enough away for them not to be a bother.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

In one word ~ NO!  We used to have a next-door neighbor whose wind chimes drove me crazy.  Living in the city with tiny lots, there was just no escaping the noise.  I was forever grateful when that thing was replaced with a big beautiful water fountain with soothing background noise from our patio. 

Valued Contributor

Does anyone remember the movie Body Heat?  Kathleen Turner and William? Hurt.  Probably mid 80's.  Very good suspense movie.  I started buying windchimes after that movie. Woman Wink I even bought the movie.  Sexy movie with lots twist and turns and the ending was a shocker!!!  I like good windchimes in the mid to deep tones.  I live on an acre, but do live fairly close to some people on one end.  I checked with them to make sure they could not hear them and they assured me they couldn't.  I sit in my wicker porch swing and listen to them, so relaxing!!!   To each their own! 

Esteemed Contributor

No, I find them irritating.

Trusted Contributor

I love the large, deep toned wind chimes.  I was looking at some this week.  But, none of them seem to be made for outdoors.  And, I have no place indoors to use them.  My dream is to one day have a sunroom added to our house, and I would definitely get some for that space.

Years ago, I had a small set of ceramic wind chimes, and the sound was wonderful.  I carried them with me to three houses, and then they broke.  Never found another small outdoor set that appealed to me.

As far as neighbors, I only have one close enough that might be bothered by them.  And, I couldn't care less...as far as that one particular noisy neighbor is concerned.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

I personally would not want them outside my door or window.  But I enjoy listening to my neighbors.  Very relaxing.  And they are not loud because they are not mine  Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the sound of wind chimes...especially deep tones. But my neighbors would complain, so I do not own any!!   Love going to the mountains in New Mexico where many cabins do have them.  Lovely sounds during slightly windy days!!  

Just saw a short documentary about how the Chinese/Japanese revere sounds.  It showed how different sounds are designed -- water dripping from a rod to a stone; water dripping through a man made drain into a huge underground hole, bells at shrines and unusual wind chimes.  Also how they revere the sounds made while going thru the tea making ritual - the steam rising from the kettle is named after the wind rushing through trees!! Love it, so interesting...