Regular Contributor

Re: Do You Like Wind Chimes?

I find them spooky. Smiley Frustrated I hate them. They just remind me of something you hear in a horror movie about a haunted house or some other type of scary situation.

No....I do not like wind chimes. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

NOOOOOO!!  I HATE them.  The sound drives me crazy!!

Image result for sad squirrel

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the perspectives.  I took mine in yesterday when it was storming, and the wind was gusty.

It is a quiet day today, and barely a "ting" from the chimes.  But I like that "ting".Heart

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

They are a no for us. We live on the bay which is windy and they would be making nonstop noise.

Our neighbor across the street and 3 houses down had them hanging on their front porch. We could hear them in our house. It was a nice sound but it was every day most of the day. They used this house as their vacation home ..closed up for the winter and left the wind chimes hanging on the porch. The winter is quiet here and all night long we could hear the chimes in our bedroom. In mid winter someone (not us) went and took them down..thank you to the person who did that. I just hope they hid them!

UPDATE- My neighbors came down to open their home for the summer and they have another set of wind chimes hanging on their front porch. I can hear them throughout my house. 

My friend next door said she is going to ask them to please take them down because her new born grandson will be sleeping in the bedroom across from them.. She is closer than I am to the noise. I don't know how they can stand the constant noise. It honestly never stops due to the wind here. 

I don't want to have hard feelings with a neighbor but this is a constant noise.

Valued Contributor

It depends on how loud they are, how close to my windows they are, and how many of them you have in your yard. I had a neighbor that had at least 20 of them all at different tones. Noisy! Now I have a neighbor with only 1, not too bad. I can live with that.

Honored Contributor

I do not like them.

Respected Contributor

All I have to say is what chime owners think are dulcet tones can easily be viewed as noise pollution to everyone within earshot who is forced to listen to them. I fail to see any good reason to add some man-made, meaningless noise to a landscape when there are so many wonderful sounds of nature to listen to and learn from. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like them but now that I have a small yard, I only have one that was a house warming gift.  

IMG_1451.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

I LOVE wind chimes!

I read on FB, though, where there is some sort of neighborhood battle in Brooklyn, where a lady's neighbors want her to stifle her wind chimes - because they say they can't sleep because of it? - she refused, because the wind chime is in memoranium of her Mother..........

Esteemed Contributor

Again, thanks for the input.  I reserve the right to listen to my chimes when it is gently breezy, and when I am home.

I now silence them when I am not home, and on a gusty, windy day.  Usually at night, too.  I pay attention to whether my neighbors have their AC on (windows closed).

I put up with many things that I am not thrilled with, from my neighbors.  I do not complain, and I try to play fair.

I get to hear chimes sometimes.🌈

Cogito ergo sum