Esteemed Contributor

Or do you find them a bother?  I would qualify it based on the quality of the chime, and the proximity to others' living spaces.

Just curious.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Like Wind Chimes?

I find them annoying...distracting...just plain noisy...I can't nap..watch tv..hold a conversation if i have my windows open...some of them i can hear even if the window is closed....

Trusted Contributor

They drive me nuts!  Just what I want to hear 24/7 – metal banging on metal.  My next door neighbor has wind chimes and so does the lady across the street and I just want to scream.  Neither of them is home during the day, but I am and I have to keep my windows closed all summer because of the constant clanging.  I view it as a personal infringement on my ability to enjoy my home & yard.  I understand many people like them, but hang them inside then open your windows for the breeze to ring them and give your neighbors a break, please.  Seems like a fair compromise. 

Note:  This was not directed at you personally - if you are a lover of wind chimes - just my personal thoughts on the subject.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate that, @circles.  I can hear mine through the windows and I like it, and I live on a fairly large residential lot, so I hope to not be a bother to others.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Oh no, @Havarti, I did not take it that way!  Glad to have your take.

I've walked around and tried to assess a "good" location that allows me to hear the chimes without being obtrusive to others. 

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I love them.  But they hafta be good quality ones & not the cheap, tinny sounding ones.  

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Valued Contributor

I'd gladly trade my noisy inconsiderate neighbors for a bunch of wind chimes. My neighbors behind me have installed a pool, and a large screen smart tv on the back of their house with large speakers attached. as well as a stereo They play music so loud that even with my windows closed I can hear it. They scream and talk at the top of their voices too,. It appears they think they are the only people in the area and treat the area as a "frat house". They don't seem to live inside of the house which is small, since they do everything outside to the wee hours of the morning. I imagine people they used to live near prior to buying the house behind me, had a huge party celebrating their leaving. Most inconsiderate bunch of folks I have ever run across.

I do rather like the sound of wind chimes, to answer your question.  If you don't like them, I can see how a bunch of them would  be annoying.

I guess I just needed to "vent" about my horrible neighbors. .

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Esteemed Contributor

Right, @cancun08.  I totally agree.  Might as well string tailpipes together if you are not willing to invest in the good ones.

Certainly, even the best can be a bother if a person doesn't like them.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

@Havarti wrote:

They drive me nuts!  Just what I want to hear 24/7 – metal banging on metal.  My next door neighbor has wind chimes and so does the lady across the street and I just want to scream.  Neither of them is home during the day, but I am and I have to keep my windows closed all summer because of the constant clanging.  I view it as a personal infringement on my ability to enjoy my home & yard.  I understand many people like them, but hang them inside then open your windows for the breeze to ring them and give your neighbors a break, please.  Seems like a fair compromise. 

Note:  This was not directed at you personally - if you are a lover of wind chimes - just my personal thoughts on the subject.

Years ago my neighbor had hung up two huge windchimes that were very loud. I said something very similar, while outside to my husband, on how it ruins our outdoor time. Luckily they must have overheard and were courteous and they took them down. Or they didn't hear my frustrations and it ended up driving them crazy, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I appreciate that, @circles.  I can hear mine through the windows and I like it, and I live on a fairly large residential lot, so I hope to not be a bother to others.

IF others can hear them, I would kindly suggest that you take them down except for a few hours a day or week when you can enjoy them.  It is a terrible thing to do to neighbors.