Honored Contributor

Do You Have Your Familie's Book Of Worship or Records?

[ Edited ]

In the 1800's and before, a highly prized record of births and deaths was handed down. 

In some families, it was the family bible or in other religions they had record books of some variety.

Do you know where yours is?  All I have is my grandmother's bible.

My DIL had the occasion to meet the other side of the family from another county doing their insurance at the hospital.  They thought I had it, I never heard of it!

Valued Contributor

Re: Do You Have Your Familie's Book Of Worship or Records?

Don't have such a thing. All 4 of my grandparents emigrated from 3 different European countries. No very little about their pasts - they died when I was young or didn't like to talk about it. Know about my parents generation. 

Esteemed Contributor

On my mother's side of the family, there is the family bible that my grandmother faithfully had recorded the family history. One of my cousins is the "keeper" of this important piece. On my dad's side of the family, his only sister did a very thorough trace of the family going back several centuries.She recorded everything she found and gave a copy to me. Records like that about a person's family are priceless IMO.

Respected Contributor

I doubt that either of those exist in my family.

My dad's parents came to America in 1917 to escape the Russian Revolution & the Russian invasion of Lithuania. In 1994, my dad went back to Lithuania to possibly see relatives there. Every one of those ancestors had been killed by Stalin during his invasion and were buried in a cemetery that had a sea of crosses from that time.

My mother's parents & grandparents came from Denmark. My mom was born in 1928. When my mom needed a birth certificate for Social Security, they accepted the copy of her baptism from the church since there were no other official records back then.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG      Sadly, no I don't have the Bible she had...yet.  My grandmother on my dads side always kept these records in her large family Bible.  I think it's still at my grandparents home where my uncle now lives.

My grandmother did purchase both her daughter and my mother a beautiful, extra large fancy family Bible for Christmas one year.  I can still remember whenever we first received that gift.  How wonderful it was to be able to look at all of the beautifully illustrated pictures to go with the stories. I'd sit in the floor for hours looking through it all the time.  It lived in the center of our coffee table back then, of course now it's stored in a glass table.

My mom did the same in our Bible and kept records of many events.  She even saved some prized notes and memories inside as well.  It was one of the best gifts we ever received.

Where I'm from, keeping a Family Bible as records was always important.  Thanks for making me remember this.😊❤️

Respected Contributor

I don't believe we have anything like this. We do, however, have a ton of genealogy records my dad had worked on back in the 60's.

Esteemed Contributor

No, but our Geneology is on the net!

Honored Contributor

My family had a bible that had information on my mother's side of the family.  It had a black leather cover that zipped closed.

I used to look at it a lot when I was a kid.  When I was in Catholic high school, I took a Bible class.  Some one stole my Bible and I needed one for class.

So, I took my mother's Bible to school.  That one got stolen too.  I still feel bad about taking it.  All the info in there is lost.

It's still on my mind all these years later.

On my fathers side, some of my cousins did a lot genealogy work on his paternal side.  We have some info on his maternal side, but not as much as I'd like.

Super Contributor

I have my great grandmother on my mothers side Bible with her marriage records and birthdays of family in it
A distant relative of that same grandmother researched and wrote a book on that side of our family
I bought a couple of books from her , one for youngest granddaughter who’s named after my grandmother who was named after her great great grandmother
I think it’s neat my granddaughter can see how her name goes back at least 9 generations in our family
I have a cousin who has researched our family tree even more extensively also on my mothers side but unfortunately she refuses to share the information with anyone

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Years ago, I wrote all that down in an area of the Bible I have, so there'd be a family record.  I'd love to do a family tree, but not happening yet.