Respected Contributor

Do You Have A Ledge in Your Home

And if so how do you decorate it?  We have moved to a new home that has one and I am a bit stymied!  Any ideas would be appreciated!  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Have A Ledge in Your Home

Like what kind of 'ledge'?

The house I grew up in had a short one at the bottom of the staircase, and my mom usually had a small plant on it. 

Some houses built in the 50's would have a brick ledge type thing in the living rooms, and I remember people putting plants on them as well.

Can you supply a picture so we can be of more help?

Valued Contributor

I had a half wall in the entry of my old house.   I also had a ledge where the stairs made a two turns.   

Is that what you mean?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have 3 in our basement. One in our guest bedroom & I have a couple of fancy glasses & a few pictures.  The one at the bottom of the steps has my English Toby Jugs & my Royal Family mugs & a plate at each end on a plate rack.  The one in the family room has a few pictures & some beach souvenirs.  Our builder did a wonderful job on them. Our home was built 21 years ago & the ledges cover an entire wall.

Honored Contributor

In my last home we had a ledge in the two story foyer.  I had a gargoyle up there.  People were fascinated by it.  

No ledges in the new digs.  Poor gargoyle sits atop the cabinets in the laundry room.  (A real demotion.)

Trusted Contributor

I have two large niches near the high ceiling in my living room, each is the same size.  I found two large black wrought iron decorative cages and put one in each.  Around them I put a ceramic pot, stack of fake books with a clock on top, and some misc. greenery in a bowl.  I tried filling the cages with various things but found that I like them better empty.  Oh, and a couple of tall vases in each corner with some fern looking stuff.  I like switching it up at the holidays and putting some santas and nutcrackers and a little tree up there.  However, I have to use a tall ladder and it gets tricky going up and down the ladder and moving stuff around. 

I also have a small lighted niche in a hallway and have placed various vases with fake flowers/greenery in it.  Also, at Christmas I put a small tree with glass santa ornaments and a large antique Christmas doll in it that looks really cute. 

Good luck with finding the right decorations for your ledge!

Honored Contributor

I have no ledges but if I did,  I'd probably leave them bare.   I've seen too many covered with cheap artificial plants and other junk all of which are just dust catchers.   Is there a rule that says you've got to put something on them?  

I'd love to have a niche or two because I've got Indian pottery that would be perfect displayed in them. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

If I did have a ledge in my house, I would decorate it with something my cat couldn't knock off and break. 

Respected Contributor

Thanks all.  This ledge is high and long and fairly deep.  My husband, who is 6'2" can barely reach it with a pretty high step ladder. It is in our kitchen.  I am tempted to either leave it bare or decide on something pretty neutral as it will be tough to change out!  Again, thanks for your replies.

Honored Contributor

I do have a ledge in what we use as an office. It is midway between floor and ceiling. I don't know the purpose of it and would prefer it was not there. But, I use it to display family pictures. It's the only place in my home that I display family photos, so I guess it does come in handy.
"To each their own, in all things".