Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Display Family Photos?

@Oznell wrote:

I do have a few, @wilma --  my quirk is that they are virtually all vintage, and virtually all black and white.

In my twenties, long before I was married, I loved the idea of just a few very old family photos in handsome frames.  So back then I had a few Edwardian ones of family members reproduced and framed.  They're so atmospheric!  Then I have a few of my adorable parents, in the Thirties-- they are so Art Deco-looking.  Aesthetically, I just love black and white photoraphy...

@Oznell 

Using vintage photos sounds very interesting. Never thought of displaying them. Those old photos are usually very interesting to look at and can be the springboard for lots of stories. Ours are all in photo albums or boxed away. May think about displaying a few for a project. 🤔 Thanks for the idea! 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I have pictures of my family in my home, loving reminders that make me smile when I look at them.  I just have them on the side table and near the tv stand.

Honored Contributor

Yes...all of my immediate family. We update them occasionally. We love looking at them. They make me smile every time I walk past them.

Valued Contributor

My paternal grandmother had a sideboard in her dining room covered with framed family photos.  Big family and lots of photos--I loved it.  When you enter our house there is a dresser with a clock, a candle and a few photos including my grandparents with my dad and uncle on the occasion of their christening.  My grandmother is wearing a fabulous 1920s hat. Also on the table are b&w photos of my husband's paternal grandparents' wedding photo (Grandma is holding 3 dozen roses) and my parent's wedding photo.  That's the only old photo of any of my husband's family which is kind of sad.  We don't even have a photo of my in-law's wedding.  

We also have a gallery wall in our hallway which guests would have to make an effort to see.  We have my father-in-law's 1930 high school football team photo, my mom's beautiful high school portrait and my dad in his Army Air Force portrait from WW2.  These are in the center with each side of the family branching out.  I see them multiple times a day and just love having them there.

Trusted Contributor

Have many family photos displayed in my home, along with other personal items and artwork.  Now that I'm older I want to see things in my home that evoke happy memories, not just pretty, but impersonal, stuff. 

Honored Contributor

No, I've never figured out how to nail those old computers to the wall.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No. I take them out and look at them from time to time but don't consider them decorative. It's not that everything sitting out has to be decorative, but I'm not a big fan of photographs as 'art' so simply don't enjoy having them displayed.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...